Quick, easy math centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Jun 23, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 23, 2008

I want to have 15 minutes of math centers every morning M-Th. With 4 tables groups, I want 4 tubs a week, and each day the tub will rotate from table to table.

Tub 1- math drill practice sheets (addition at the beginning of the year, but moving into subtraction and later maybe multiplication)

Tub 2- math puzzle, brain teaser (but it has to be a pretty quick one)

Tub 3- Time activities with Judy clocks (this will be all year, as it's an important skill for second grade. It will begin with identifying time to the hour, half hour and so on throughout the year. I am 99% sure that one of the first grade classes did not cover telling time in any sort of systematic way. Not sure about the other.)

Tub 4- Manipulative activity? I'm thinking like, making base ten blocks to represent different numbers and stamping them, Making symmetrical patterns with pattern blocks

Any other ideas??? I have TWO ideas, so that covers TWO weeks!! I would LOVE if the math activities incorporated some ART!

I'm worried I will get lazy and this will turn into a worksheet tub!

And on Friday, they will have a weekly message written in some sort of CODE. I did that about a dozen times this year and my class LOVED it. I began with pretty simple codes and moved onto much more complex codes. The hidden message will have something to do with the day. I'm not sure what standards this meets (and don't care) but I think it's great for logical reasoning and problem solving.

3. MissV

MissV Companion

Jun 23, 2008

How about a "comprehension" activity. Like one week it can be geometric shapes with pattern blocks and another day it can be word problems with manipulatives like beads or base 10 blocks.

I want to do a lot of comprehension activities with my 3rd graders this year, ESPECIALLY WITH WORD PROBLEMS AND MONEY!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 23, 2008

That's a really good idea!! Thanks! I forgot to mention, these should take no more than 5-7 minutes per kid. We will have an arrival window, so kids may get to school any time between 8:45-9:00. Those that get to school first will be done faster and have a short free time, everyone who arrives later will work until we move onto the next activity around 9:05 or so.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 23, 2008

Find the Rule/Continue the Pattern (use either cards or foam geometric figures, or number cards).

What Doesn't Belong - make a 2x2 box with one number in each square. 3 should follow some rule, 1 should not follow the rule.

Simple graphing designs - there are quite a few books out with these.

Parquetry set - make symmetrical designs.

Square cubes - make arrangements with area equal to various amounts of your choosing.

Graph paper - make arrays equal to various numbers - fun to do with several colors.

Tangrams