quick/creative bulletin board needed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jenlovestoteach, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

I am doing "Third Grade Thinking Challenges" with all the 3rd gr classrooms. They're competing against each other for points... we want to make a bulletin board that will track the points and keep the kids as excited as they were today.

We thought of a race track with different cars for the different teachers....we're looking for low maintenance... but I feel like there must be something catchy out there!

3. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

hmm...how about something using a picture of a brain (cartoonish) obviously, maybe something along the lines of how many brains they get in a jar ( I know that sounds morbid) but it's not, kind of like the marbles in a jar thing we've done for behavior stuff..just a thought..now that I think about it, ,maybe not...I dunno..just throwing it out there...

4. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

or something with "raising the bar" or "stretching their mental muscles"... hmmm

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2008

What about something with lightbulbs???

6. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

I love lightbulb themes, lol.... but the teachers wanted it to be something that made sense for moving across the bulletin board or accumulating points... like the race cars would be driving on a road and going X miles depending on the points the kids got.... what could I link a lightbulb to?

7. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

points could equal number of "watts on a bulb..make each one brighter...as they move across for points

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2008

Like the watts idea... when I think of a light bulb type thing, I always thing of a candle first & then like a Xmas light, nite lite...like the lights keep getting bigger like as the wattage goes up.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 14, 2008

What about getting some cheap puzzles from the dollar store and earning pieces of your puzzle. You could pick the number of pieces per puzzle depending on point value and how easy it is to get points.

10. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

too bad Xmas is over -- could have added lights to a Xmas tree or something like that

11. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

anything with popcorn? I have these great bins from the dollar store...

12. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

geez..your picky! LOL....:-D

13. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

just do a popcorn bin and fill it with something and measure who has more on a daily basis then..

14. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

Aww, no, I'm not being picky! I love the ideas, lol... it's just that it is going to be something maintained by 2 other teachers and they wanted to "put a t chart up and call it a day"... and i don't want to do that... so i'm looking for ideas to bring to them that they will hopefully like and not think are too crazy/time consuming to do... otherwise I'll wind up doing the whole thing by myself - ha

15. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

LOL...isn't that the way it usually works anyway? Put a big popcorn bin for each class and let them throw in crumbled yellow paper in for the number of points they get...then they can see how they are progressing..use clear cellophane for the front, so they can see in!

16. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

You're right, I always wind up doing it all myself anyway... ha... I was trying to delegate this time and take a hands off approach... but as you can see, I'm still concerned... hehe... that's a good idea, except the bins are plastic...Poppin' Problem Solvers?? LOL

17. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

make your own bins..the ones from the dollar store won't be big enough anyway...for a bulletin board!

18. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 14, 2008

thanks for all the ideas! :)

My husband just came in, pondered it for a second and said, "How about "Looking Deeper" and you do a pool with a diving board or "Digging Deeper" and snow shovels?" LOL...

19. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jan 14, 2008

Wow! So many great ideas! The first idea that came to my mind was a sports theme. Maybe football players working their way down the field for a touchdown.

20. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jan 15, 2008

I agree...many great ideas! I love the light bulb/watts idea. I might use that myself for something!:lol:

21. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 15, 2008

When I was in 4th grade our teacher used a mountain and skiiers and every time we got a set of #'s (1's, 2's) right we moved our man up the mountain. I loved it so much I still remember it today!!! It's probably a little too high maintance for your teachers BUT it could be re-usable for you in the future...