Quick and easy review games

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by snickydog, May 13, 2007.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 13, 2007

I'm looking for some quick and easy review games... Ones that can be played in about 20 minutes and that involve minimal teacher prep. Any good ideas? I searched the forums and found a couple good ones, but I'm looking for more great ideas! THANKS!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 13, 2007

What grade and subject?

4. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 13, 2007

When in doubt, think of games you already know, and modify the rules to the subject/grade you teach: I put a tic tac toe on the board and fill the spaces with sight words. Inorder for the team to put an x or an o, they need to read the word correctly or answer the math problem...
    around the world (student travels fron desk to desk, competing to answer questions the fastest and correctly. whoever does answer correctly and first, moves on to the next desk)
    memory with flashcard of sight words or math problems.
    When I have some unexpected free time, I also pull out individual white boards and board markers and we practice spelling or math. (these were easy to make - I got card stock and slipped one sheet in a platic slip cover: Instant, cheap, individual white boards. I also used thick lined paper to slip in to practice theiir handwriting). They love using white boards to practice things.

I'm sure that others have ideas - I've seen them here. But maybe this will help you somewhat.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 13, 2007

Basketball:

It is a team game but each kid go up individually. You need two small slates (whiteboards or pieces of paper), two chairs facing opposite ways, and two kids from each team. I say a question while the kids are sitting in the chairs and they race to the board and write the correct answer, however gets it first wins.

The winner gets one point for the correct answer for his team and also gets a chance to sheet either a 2 pointer or a 1 pointer. If they score a one or two pointer it is also added to their score.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 13, 2007

hangman (I even do full sentences for questions)
    Sparkle
    Hot Potato and Duck Duck Goose (I modify both)
    I know a word on the word wall that means....
    Shaving Cream (I don't know your grade). I ask a question, they write it in the shaving cream on the table.
    Run to the board and answer.
    I use my white boards for various things all the time too.
    File Folder Games
    I use a candy land board and different colors means something different or picking a different kind of card (made from index cards). I change the rules to fit the lesson.
    I know I have many but it is late.

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 13, 2007

8th grade science... I prefer minimal prep because of the incredible number of students materials have to circulate through.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 13, 2007

I prefer no prep at all! I split my kids into groups and ask them questions (social studies). They can confer for a short time, then respond. They think this is great fun, especially the winners who get candy. It helps me to get across the big ideas and to connect the various facts. Social studies in 5th is soooo much work because it is the first time they are studying history.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 13, 2007

Matching - have 5 students stand at the front with key terms, people, or ideas Give each group a couple of definitions (only one of which matches a term) The groups have to discuss and match the definition. Switch kids and terms and repeat.

10. lateach_6

lateach_6 Rookie

May 15, 2007

Stump the Teacher: You give the kids a topic or chapter. They come up with the questions to ask you. If you get it right, you get the point. If you miss it, they get the point. I ususally give candy or bonus points to the team who wins.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 15, 2007

Could you get mini dry erase boards (someone posted a cheap way to buy and cut them). I ask kids all kinds of questions and they can answer in sentence, word, question, or draw format depending on the question I ask. Sometimes I play hangman or write puzzle questions (of course with your number of students, you could write that on your board).

12. revans

revans New Member

May 24, 2007

Review games

A game that my students like a lot is called Bluff. The class is divided into two teams. I give a student on team A a stuffed animal. Then I pitch a vocabulary word or question to team A. Everyone that knows the answer on team A or bluffs that they know the answer stands up. I count the number of students standing and write it on the board. The student with the stuffed animal throws it to someone standing. If that student knows the answer then that team earns the number of points that I wrote on the board. If that student was bluffing I subtract the points to their score. Then I pitch a word or question to Team B and start the process again. The students really like this game for some reason. I teach high school.

13. ajd5160

ajd5160 Rookie

May 30, 2007

Another way to get dry erase slates is to go to home depot and purchase a 4x8 sheet of the white material that is used in showers... it's around $11.00. I had mine cut into 12"x12" squares (making 32). I think Depot sometimes charges for cuts, but I told them that I was a teacher and what I was doing and they didn't charge me.

14. JWar417

JWar417 Rookie

Jun 2, 2007

I play an easy review game with the kids and it requires little prep. 2 seats in the front of the room - divide the class in half. 2 kids come up at once to face off, I ask a question from the study guide, the quiz or test or a previous homework assignment - whoever raises their hand first gets the first opportunity to answer (I always pick a student judge so they can get mad at the kid and not me). If the student gets it right, they remain in the seat and face the next contestant. Students can only get a maximum of 3 in a row correct, so everyone gets a turn. When it comes back to them again, they may play again. I call it Keep Your Seat because the objective is to keey your seat for as long as possible and the kids retain their points for extra credit on the quiz.

15. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 3, 2007

When you get this done, do you have to do anything special to the edges so they're not sharp?

16. AmyOwen

AmyOwen New Member

Jun 17, 2007

My most popular game was called "The Picture Game," so named by my students. I think I saw this concept on an old TV game show, but this is how I translated it into a classroom review game.

1. Prep - laminate about ten pictures of celebrities
    2. Use square cards numbered one through 9 and cover each celebrity completely (as shown below):
    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9
    3. Write out another set of cards (labeled one through nine) and shuffle them. This is how you will randomly pick one of the cards to remove.
    4. Split the class into two teams
    5. Ask a review question. If the team (or person that you choose on the team) answers the question correctly, you pick a card from the deck of nine, and remove that number from the picture. This will only uncover a portion of the face, and the students have to do their best to guess who it is based on a small glimpse at the picture. As more of the picture is removed it becomes more clear, but it is definitely comical to see who the students guess in the first few turns.
    6. My rule was that the team could only guess the celebrity on their turn, and they only got one guess per turn. So it was usually good to pick one student on each turn. That way the chosen student had the final say, and there was no confusion.

This game does take some prep, but my students loved the game and had a great time with the review!

17. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 16, 2007

wOW WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA...

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

What wonderful ideas!

I'm compiling a list of review games so that I have about 50 to draw from at any given time. My kids enjoy playing games and I'm sure I can squeeze a few minutes each week out of my regular activities.

19. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I've done a game called Math Baseball (you can adjust it to any subject). It's almost like Around the World. I had two teams and eight bases (2 home plates, 2 1st bases, etc). The first person on each team would stand on their home plate & I'd ask my question. The first person who answered it correctly would advance to their team's first base (I color coded the teams). The student who didn't answer correctly would sit at the end of their line. The next two students would stand at home plate. Players would advance as their team members got answers correct. Once a player made it back to home plate, they'd give their team a point.

I played this game with kindergartners and they got it by the second time we played! They loved it!

20. kelbel7583

kelbel7583 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Fly Swat -
    Purchase 2 fly swats. Write vocabulary words or defintions on the overhead projector. Call students up by two. Then, call out the defintion/word meaning. The first one to swat the correct answer can either stay up, or if playing by teams gets a point.

4 Corners - Label the corners of your room A,B,C,D. Read aloud a multiple choice question and have students , without talking, go to the correct corner. Keep playing until only one student is left.