Quick and easy lab for you science teachers

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by trina, Oct 14, 2008.

1. trina

trina Companion

Oct 14, 2008

Hey all... I wanted to share a really cool lab I made up last week that was a big hit. I'm sure I'm not the FIRST person to do this, but I know I've never read it anywhere.

You can use iodine solution (either bought from a science supply company or prepared from tincture you get at the drugstore) and aquarium water de-chlorinator to react with one another.

I used 200 ml of water in a flask. Put in 5 ml of iodine sol. The kids hypothesized how much de-chlorinator it would take to clear the iodine water. Try using 1 drop of de-chlorinator. Swirl flask. Record color change. Keep adding 1 drop at a time until water clears. Be sure the kids are stirring or swirling with enough energy to evoke the chemical reaction. Then continue upping the iodine (new water each time) and then see if the # of drops of de-chlorinator remains congruent with the increase in iodine.

This was a really fun lab because the kids got water to change from clear (plain) to reddish-orange (adding the iodine) and then through several shades of yellow (as they added drops of de-chl.) to finally crystal clear again.

Best of all- it's CHEAP!!!

3. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 15, 2008

Wow that sounds neat! Was this part of a inquiry/scientific method-type unit or is this a unit involving chemical reactions?

4. trina

trina Companion

Oct 15, 2008

Not tied specifically to our chapter (as we are in space science right now, so I have to find labs to do every week because there's not too many labs you can do with astronomy!) I used this lab to teach lab procedures, continuing to teach them how to write a lab report, and yes, the scientific method. I also just got in an order of brand new pipettors that I taught them how to use. FUN!

5. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 15, 2008

What are pipettors?:confused:

6. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Aug 27, 2010

I like this :)

7. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Aug 28, 2010

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing it!

8. LMT

LMT Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

Sounds neat! Great idea...thanks for sharing. I'm in the middle of an astronomy unit too. It is my least favorite unit...pm me if you have any good ideas for astronomy! :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2010

From wiki:

A pipette (also called a pipet, pipettor or chemical dropper) is a laboratory instrument used to transport a measured volume of liquid.