Quick and easy games?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by leighbball, May 14, 2008.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

Lately my kids and I have been finishing stuff with a few minutes left at the end of the day. Our principal just started a new rule that we need to be inside 20 minutes before dismissal, so that often rules out extra recess. Does anyone have any fun games or activities that can be played quickly?

We do the traditional 7-up and silent ball, but I'd love more variety in our games:)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 14, 2008

4. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 14, 2008

What about spelling games? Have you ever heard of Sparkle?

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

Yes, I've played sparkle before. I should keep that in mind too. :)

6. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

May 14, 2008

I made two giant game boards that I use all the time in my classroom. They are on butcher paper and I hang them on my white board. One is basically a Jeopardy board - perfect for test review. The other is a giant centipede made of colored construction paper squares (imagine a Candy Land board). Some of the blocks have silly rules like "skip one turn" or "go forward 3 spaces." I use this game for everything from multiplication drills to reading comprehension questions. Individual kids or teams face off with a question, and whoever answers correctly gets to pull a Lego-type block from a box. They move their game piece to the next square on the game board that matches the Lego.

ANYWAY, after all that background, I'll get to the point. Even though they can't finish a game in just a few minutes, I still use it as a time filler. Since it's laminated, I just use a dry erase marker to draw a dot where each team left off from the previous round of the game. One game might go on all week if you only play for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. But once your teams are chosen, you can jump back into the game in no time at all, and the kids should be really excited.

I spent a few hours making these game boards, but they are so popular. I love having them. I think you'd find them to be worth your time.

Oh! And since the Centipede game hangs on the board, I use magnets as my game pieces.

7. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 14, 2008

You could play Around the World too. My kids get so excited to play Sparkle and Around the World. They actually request it as much as Quiet Ball.

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 18, 2008

May I ask what Sparkle and Quiet ball are? I might want to use them also.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 18, 2008

Sparkle is a spelling game. Here is a link to two variations of it: http://atozteacherstuff.com/pages/4240.shtml

Quiet Ball is the same thing as Silent Ball. The kids throw a nerf-like ball around the room to each other and have to be silent. If they talk, they throw the ball so someone can't catch it, or they miss the ball, they are out and have to sit down. :)

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 18, 2008

Off-the-cuff Blurt, Pictionary, Headbanz, Hangman... I try to stick to vocab/language related activities.

11. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

May 19, 2008

If you have a Word Wall, you could play Word Wall guessing games like writing the shape of a word wall on the board and having students guess the word. That goes along well with Hangman, too.

12. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 19, 2008

Math Battleship
    1. Make a 10 x 10 grid on the board.
    2. Number one side of the grid 1-10 and the other side A-J
    3. Draw where the ships are located on your copy of the grid
    4. Have the class split up into two teams and line up respectively (Teams: A and B)
    5. They will then come up to the board and be challenged one on one to math questions
    6. The child that answers correctly is allowed to pick one square on the grid of where they want to shoot a missile
    7. They are then told if they hit or miss
    8. A miss is represented by a colored in square while a hit is represented by either an A or B
    9. At the end when all of the battleships are sunk the points are totaled.
    10. For every hit a team has they receive one point then for every complete ship that is sunk by solely team A or team B they receive an additional point
    There will be 6 ships:
    2x 3 square long ships
    2x 4 square long ships
    1x 5 square long ships
    1x 6 square long ships

I made my own table in word and just colored in the cells to represent ships and printed it out. I thought it would be handy for subbing, but would be great for you too. There are different versions of this floating around, but the one I found didn't make too much sense so I revised it for me.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 19, 2008

Thanks I like quiet ball. I may use it.

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 20, 2008

Well I tried Quiet Ball yesturday. It was fun but they couldn't keep quiet lol so it turned into hotpotato.

15. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 20, 2008

Interesting choice of words :D

16. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

May 20, 2008