Quick ? about procedures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 9, 2014

I'm refining my procedure list. In 5th grade, I never posted them. I had them, we just practiced and they became a habit. I'm not sure about 3rd, though. I'm kind of anal about how things are done, so I have a procedure for everything. So, posting them would taken lots of space, lots of paper, and lots of laminating (which I'm really tired of doing).

TIA,

Beth

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 9, 2014

I do post some of the more complicated processes... in particular, our dismissal routine. For other routines (morning routine, etc), I'll put them on my projector every day for the first two weeks, and then once a week after that as a friendly reminder.

4. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Aug 9, 2014

I debated this when teaching about writing procedures up on posters but honestly it was too much of a pain. I posted the classroom rules, and this year i will probably post a pencil sharpening procedure as the kids seem to forget about that one haha. Otherwise morning and dismissal procedures are just rehearsed i didnt have a problem with that one.

Same with bathroom they got it

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

Please share your pencil sharpening procedure! They've always been the bane of my existence!!!

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 11, 2014

For me, pencil sharpening is one of my classroom jobs. I have two students that are supposed to sharpen pencils in the morning and afternoon. During the day, if students need a new pencil, they put one in the to-be-sharpened pencils bin, and take one from the sharpened pencils bin. If they have a special pencil that they don't want to trade in, they are welcome to use my pencil sharpener before or after class. Students are also allowed to have mini-sharpeners at their desk.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2014

I teach 3rd and create a procedure book with my class.In the past it truly was just a book, but now I use a powerpoint for teaching and practicing the new procedures and print copies of the slide for reference when needed by individual students and my subs.

8. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

The way my schedule is set up there is no time to make it a classroom job. Basically the students have set times they may sharpen their pencils. First thing in the morning or after lunch before afternoon classes. They are to always have two pencils sharpened. If something happens where all there pencils break in the middle of class they are to quietly get up and get a pencil from the bin to be returned later. The class pencils are labeled so there is no confusion. They must be taught what is considered broken. Any pencil sharpeners they have in their desk I send home. Keep strict with the times