Questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nangel78, Sep 19, 2011.

1. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 19, 2011

For those who have subbed, I have questions. First, is it a really good sign if the school asks you to come back more than once? Yes I am jockeying for a position here. How many of you have been hired on via subbing? Thanks!

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 19, 2011

It's a great sign if the school asks you to come back. My first job was a substitute position, then it became a full-time, contracted assignment.

4. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 20, 2011

Thanks for the info ELA. Last year, I signed up for sub jobs primarily through Aesop. This one school that needs a new 6th Grade Teacher, but they are waiting on approval to hire one has asked me to come back twice in the past few days to sub. I met the P yesterday and left packets of my information for them to look over.

5. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Sep 20, 2011

It means they like you and probably think you do a good job in the classroom, so that can't hurt.

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 20, 2011

Nothing came of my subbing experiences. I was offered a 3-week stint once, then that was rescinded. I took to writing stories in Math or Bio classes, so bored I was.

Mostly I felt invisible and unappreciated. It got embarrassing at times. One time the VP mistook me for a new student.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2011

In my school board, the only way to get a "foot in the door" is through subbing. If the school didn't like the job you were doing, they wouldn't request you back--keep up the great work!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2011

Of course it's definitely a GOOD thing if you're asking to return! Yrs ago, I subbed for the last 3 mos of the yr for this teacher who couldn't finish the yr due to medical reasons. The P asked me to interview for the position, but I declined. It wasn't the type of position I wanted to do permanently. That was way back during 2001-02 or so now if I recall.

I've been back to subbing after just a yr as a special ed teacher. But, I've built a nice reputation amongst the SLP dept at my dist. Hopefully soon, I'll be ecstatic to say that it was all worth it.

Good luck!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

It's a good sign. They like you. Continue to show up with a positive, flexible, can-do and professional attitude....it will serve you well.

10. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 25, 2011

Thank you for the responses. I just applied with another district too. Milsey, I have seen your other posts and I take your advice with a grain of salt.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

Good for you!

12. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

From my experiences, it really depends on the school. I had a school that I subbed at for .5 year, interviewed and did not get the position. Continued subbing the next year and took an AmeriCorps position in that school the following year, interviewed again and still did not get a job. Both times they hired teachers with no connections to the school. In the end, the job I got came from a school 2 hours away that I had no connections what-so-ever with.

13. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 26, 2011

It depends on the school and your content area. I am in my third year of subbing in five districts while looking for a full-time music position. Most of those schools never have openings for this type of position. One of the districts has had three openings since I started subbing there. I have never gotten an interview with them even though I sub there constantly. I have no idea why this is the case. I always heard that subbing was the way to get your foot in the door so it must work in some schools.