Questions!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Starista, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 31, 2010

Hello! So many of the threads on the Elem. Ed. section make me ask "Hmmm is this workable in 3rd?!" So here I am asking! :lol:

1. Do 3rd graders need a word wall? At my previous school, teachers in grades Pk-2 were required to have a word wall. We used it during literacy centers and played games with it. I could take it or leave it.

2. Can you do a bucket filling activity with 3rd?

3. Has anyone had good experience using Homeworkopoly in 3rd? I love the concept. :)

4. Do you do traditional "centers" in 3rd? I realize centers is a word with many meanings. I 2nd I did literacy centers and math centers. I had a class of 30-32 students. I followed the procedure of modeling and taking it slow... intro'ing one center at a time, etc.
    I had a hard time with "center work" as I wanted accountability on one hand, but I wanted it to be hands on as well!

My kids seemed to enjoy math centers more than literacy centers, especially toward the end of the year as I added multiplication games to the math centers and I fear the hands on part of lit/ centers was becoming too young???
    -if no centers in 3rd, how do you work w/ small groups? I bought the daily 5 book. I will read it!

5. Do you meet with reading groups daily?

THANK YOU! Sorry if these questions seem silly or if they've been answered a zillion times before. :) :love:

3. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 31, 2010

My thoughts...

4. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 31, 2010

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2010

I'm going to keep it simple and say YES to all of your questions. :) THe word wall is more content based though and centers take on a more sophisticated vibe. I use Daily 5. You'll love 2nd.

6. MIteacher

MIteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

word wall/bucket fillers

Yes, my 3rd graders used the word wall a lot. I can't imagine not having one.

We read the Bucket Filler book early in the year, made a class book and used the concept in our class meetings daily. It worked very well for third graders.