Questions When Accepting an Offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BlueskyFL, Aug 31, 2011.

1. BlueskyFL

BlueskyFL Rookie

Aug 31, 2011

I will be a new teacher (hopefully soon!). What happens when a school calls to offer you a position?

I would assume, after you've said "YES!" that you'd ask about what next steps you should take in the days ahead.

Any other general questions?

What DOES happen, generally, when you accept an offer? (Besides starting to teach :p)

3. LovelyTee

LovelyTee Rookie

Aug 31, 2011

You will most likely have to go the the Board of ed office or somewhere similar and get paperwork such as fingerprinting forms, physicals forms, turn in papers that they will need for your file, etc.. I got my contract after I completed all of this.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2011

It really depends when you accept the offer. What happens in June is much different than the end of August or September.

Usually your name goes to the board of education for approval, then you have a contract to sign and other paperwork to complete with HR.

5. ayla

ayla Companion

Aug 31, 2011

Yes, they will tell you everything you need to know. They sent me a giant packet of stuff with multiple to-do lists over the course of the next month or two (things stated above - contract, finger printing, etc). This was sent after schoolboard approval. I called just to make sure the approval went well (it did) but other than that HR knows how to get everything you need to do (or should). From there your principal/school will take over communication with things like new teacher orientation schedules, etc.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 31, 2011

They will have you come in to sign the contract and explain the process to you. Congratulations!

7. BlueskyFL

BlueskyFL Rookie

Aug 31, 2011

Well no offers YET...but I do have a couple very promising opportunities. I might hear from one of them very soon and was just curious!

Wishful thinking, I suppose. :)

8. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Sep 2, 2011

I had to go into HR and fill out a bunch of paperwork. What I wasn't thinking about is all of the things that I would need to decide on right then. I was just excited to have a job- I didn't know how much I wanted to contribute towards retirement, if I wanted short-term disability insurance, or what my flex medical spending was going to be for the year! So, that could be something to think about, especially if you are completely in the dark about how all that stuff works (like me!) :p