Questions to ask principals

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Deeena, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

I have a second interview tomorrow with a principal (my last interview was just a screening). I always like to have at least one or two good questions to ask at the end of the interview. Does anyone have any ideas of what would be good questions to ask a principal? I like to come to the interview with a question already prepared, since by the time they get to the point in the interview where they ask, "Do you have any questions?" I am usually so mentally drained that I can't think of anything. In my screening interview I asked about parent and community support and I also asked something about professional development opportunities. Does anyone else have any good questions I could ask for the end of this next interview? Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

WHat level is the school-- elementary or secondary?

You could ask about parent involvement, extra curricular activities, after school tutoring, new teacher/mentor programs...

4. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Try to find out something about the school and ask questions about it. For example, in Florida schools are "graded" yearly based on FCAT scores. I looked at schools' last five grades and then asked the principals questions like, "You were a "B" school in 2006 but a "C" school in 2007. What changed? And what changes are being implemented to improve next term?"

5. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Those are great questions. Does anyone remember the old Wendy's "Where's the beef ?" TV commercials? You could do a version of that asking "Where's the contract ?" ;) :D

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

Deeena, I didn't know you were looking for a job. Well, on my last interview, I asked a question about technology. It was something like, "do you offer workshop or trainings on how to help teachers implement technology into the curriculum." It was a real question too. I didn't ask just to look good. I really need help integrating technology! You could also ask what parent involvement in like at the school. Good luck with your job search!

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

In my interview today I asked the principal to describe some of the characteristics of the teachers he considers to be his strong teachers. He said it was a great question! It gives you insight about what the principal values in his staff as well.

I usually ask about extracurricular opportunities for students as well as opportunities to lead them (as Alice mentioned), since I'm big in getting involved in things. Also, you might want to ask if a mentor teacher would be in your grade level (or subject if you're middle/high school). That would make a big difference!