Questions to ask Principals

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DKM, Jun 21, 2014.

1. DKM

DKM Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

Hey guys,

I got a few interviews lines up for this week. I have been teaching for nearly five years and am almost done with my master's degree in Special Education. I have been in good schools and poorly managed ones. I am doing as much research as I can on the schools I'm interviewing at to find the right school for me. I am looking up test schools, going on district websites, and reading reviews on GreatSchools.org.

I feel the best way of doing so is to "interview" the principal after they interview me. I know that sometimes, questions I ask can also impact their decision. Besides asking "when will a decision will be made," Some questions I came up with:

1. Tell me some things that you like about this school.
    2. I'm a problem solver. Are there improvements that your school plans to make? If so, what can I do to help?
    3. I am an avid reader and have often been requested by my previous students to sponsor a book club. Will your school expect me to sponsor an after school club or should I wait until after my first year with you?

I can't think of anything else. I am trying to fish for details on the school culture. I am interviewing in districts I have not subbed in. Feel free to give me input if there is a better way to approach these questions. Thanks, you guys have been very helpful!

3. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

questions I've asked are what are the typical class sizes, (but I see many of them), how does PD work/what do you offer, what are the parents like, I've also asked what do you like about this school, and what is the main music ed philosophy + are there materials in the room

I suppose another question might be what is this school's philosophy on discipline, I haven't asked that ever but I think it could be revealing

Good luck :D

4. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

I ask what a typical day is like (schedule), are their opportunities to collaborate with other teachers, are their opportunities to volunteer in the community (art club, art shows) What is their timeline for filling the position?

5. DKM

DKM Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

Thanks guys! Keep them coming!

I tried asking that and it has actually backfired. It makes a principal think that I might be incompetent to control a classroom. I learned this the hard way two years ago.

I think asking about their philosophy and professional development is a good aim.

6. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

oh! good to know! I will not ask that question lol