Questions to ask about my new job!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Deedah86, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Deedah86

Deedah86 Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

Okay, I posted before, so I know a few of you read it, but I have another question. :-D

So I found out my classroom is 6-9 year olds, severely handicapped. Most of them are nonverbal and diagnosed as autism spectrum disorders... I am going to my classroom on Saturday for the first time, where I will meet my aid who has been with this class for 6 years. i'm making a huge list of questions to ask her such as, What is lunch like? Do any of them use feeding tubes or anything...Was wondering if someone who is more familiar with children in this classification, had any more ideas on what I could be finding out that day.

I don't get to actually go into my classroom to get it ready since I am finishing two weeks at another job...

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

Deedah, I haven't had time to respond to you... but I want to! I have a lot of great ideas and resources for you. In the meantime, I saw this post and wanted to write a few questions you could ask the para.

What is the schedule like? What has the schedule looked like in the past? How do "Specials" work for your kiddos? Are they assigned a homeroom and they attend with their grade level? Do they all attend the same class? Is it a "special ed" class or are they with peers?

How are the parents? Are they involved? Not involved? Too involved? (She might not know this one but usually paras generally have an idea about this)

What curriculum has been used in the classroom? (Again, para might not know the specifics but if Edmark has been used or ULS has been used, I am sure she would be aware, etc.)

Which kids in the class need the most behavioral support? Anything you can do to prepare (visuals, materials, etc.?)

Who is a "go to" person in your special ed department or school? Who can help you with things that you don't know (if the para doesn't know?)

You mentioned that most of your kiddos are classified with autism, so this would leave me to believe that there will not be feeding tubes, etc., unless your district does it much differently than most districts (most districts wouldn't have severe autism and severe medical needs in the same room... but some do).

Also, even though we know that autism is a "spectrum" - many people call autism classrooms "severe disabilities," so it might not even be "as severe" as you think it is (or it might be!) My classes have always been "severe disabilities classes," but most of my kids could talk and were toilet trained (had a few kids who were not toilet trained and a few kids without verbal abilities throughout the years...) You probably won't know the type of kiddos you'll be working with until you see them.

But, let me tell you, I LOVE this population. I actually interviewed for some "higher functioning" positions this year, and realized that my passion is with the kids with the most significant disabilities!! I love teaching life skills, independence, functional academics, community skills, etc. It's great!

So, I wanted to let you know that if you can LOVE them, you can TEACH them. :) The "details" will all fall into place. I have been on the interview panel at my schools for hiring new teachers (to replace me when I moved, to hire a teacher for a new multiple disabilities classroom, etc.) - you can DEFINITELY tell the teachers who are PASSIONATE about loving and teaching the kids, and even if they don't have a specific skill set, know about a specific curriculum, have their SPED masters degree, etc. - if they have a PASSION for what they're doing, they can learn anything!

You got this! I will write more to you later on ... but wanted to say -- don't be nervous! Go into your job with a full heart and open mind and you'll work wonders in these kids' lives. :cool:

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

I would also ask what technology you have available.

You may want to ask what her role has been like in the past so you know what she is capable of and expecting to do for you. Also ask her about what if and how she would like her role to change for this year.

5. Deedah86

Deedah86 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you'd be a great person to hear from!!!!

6. cicik

cicik New Member

Aug 10, 2012

Teachers' jobs and Michelle Rhea's reform.

Search for ' educationdigest123 ' for dicussion about teaching, teachers and education reform as proposed by Michelle Rhea.