Questions from Future Teacher :-)

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by toiatoi, Nov 12, 2010.

1. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

Hello all! I am currently in school for Elementary Education (Kindergarten). I still have quite a way to go, but I am always looking on different sites and I have a few questions.

In your welcome letters, have any of you made individual letters? What I mean is, make a template, but put the child's name in their letter to make it more personal? If so, was it too time consuming?

Do you ever do a visit with the parents and children before school starts so that you can become familiar with the child or answer any of the parents' questions?

What has been the most rewarding thing about teaching Kindergarten? I thought about 1st grade, but I really want to be a part of the most important year in a child's life. Thanks for reading!

3. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Nov 12, 2010

Good luck with your journey....it is a lot of fun.

Yes, I personalize my letters each summer. No home visits, but I do phone calls, mainly to double check e-mail addresses, so I can set up my contact list.

Most rewarding - the hugs, those adorable faces...their funny, quirky comments. That moment when the letter sounds come together, they look at you with wonder and say "I can read!"

4. olive21

olive21 Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

Hi! I am an elementary ed major too! I will be graduating in the spring :)

I want to teach Kindergarten or first grade... I think both are equally rewarding!

5. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

Thank you!! So do you teach Kindergarten? I did not think home visits were common, but I know we had one with my daughter's preschool. Aww I can't wait to be a part of that. A lot of people tell me I'm silly for wanting to do this because the pay is not that great, I told them it is not ABOUT the pay, because I think the payoff is knowing I made a difference in a child's life. I consulted my favorite teacher from high school before changing my major, and he told me it is hard work but for all the bad things, there are 100 good things to make up for each.

6. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

Hi! I sent you a PM:)

7. Laurie12820

Laurie12820 Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

Hello! This is my first year teaching and it is amazing! I did not do individual letters, I did a generic letter for everyone. Our school has a Kindergarten orientation before school so that we can meet with the parents and have them fill out the important information then and there.

The most rewarding thing so far is seeing how they have grown and what they have learned so far. It is wonderful. Good luck! :)

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 13, 2010

I send out a general letter at the start of the summer that is NOT personalized... then later in the summer, as the start of school gets closer and my summer open house approaches, I send a post card (personalized) to each child. :D

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 14, 2010

In your welcome letters, have any of you made individual letters? What I mean is, make a template, but put the child's name in their letter to make it more personal? If so, was it too time consuming? I send home a packet just for parents, which contains information about busing, picking up/dropping off their child, and my classroom handbook. I also send a separate welcome postcard, which I write out for each child. It all takes a few hours, but it's worth the time.

Do you ever do a visit with the parents and children before school starts so that you can become familiar with the child or answer any of the parents' questions? No, I do not. We have an open house the day before school starts where the kids and parents come and visit. My parent packet explains pretty much everything, and if they have additional questions, they just ask at open house. I try to be really good about communicating with parents, so they don't usually have a lot of questions.

What has been the most rewarding thing about teaching Kindergarten? I love how much the kids love me. :D That probably sounds really selfish, but I feel like a celebrity when I walk into the lunchroom! The first grade teachers at my school have a saying that "kindergarten teachers walk on water" because our kids miss us so much in first grade, and they talk about us so much. It's fun being their "first."