Questions from a prospective sub??

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by frtrd, Oct 20, 2012.

1. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

Oct 20, 2012

I've been thinking about trying to sub while I'm still in college. There are some school districts in my area that will allow people to sub with only a high school diploma.

How much notice do they usually give subs? These districts are 30-40 min away and if they called me in the morning I'd need enough notice to get over there.

Also, how hard is it to get a sub job these days? I'd hate to go through all the training (and rearrange my next semester's course schedule so I have free days) and then end up not being called often!!

Thanks for your advice :)

3. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Oct 20, 2012

Where I sub, if you accept a job the day of the assignment, you are allowed one hour to make it over to the school. I would suggest contacting the district and asking what their rules are for accepting same day sub jobs.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2012

It depends on a few factors as to how often you'd be called. Some districts keep a short list of subs and they are used most every day while others have a huge pool. You would need to make a name for yourself, so to speak.

When I subbed as a college student, I wasusually called between 6:30 and 7:00 and needed to report around 7:45...or something similar, as I forget the details. There were times, though, I would be called and needed to be there "fifteen minutes ago", meaning a teacher called in very late or had to leave as soon as arriving to school, and someone else in the building was covering until I got to the classroom. One you are "in", though, teachers start requesting you ahead of time, which is nice. :)

5. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Oct 20, 2012

Keep in mind that most school districts have an online system where teachers call off and subs accept jobs. I have one county wide school district (not the county where I live) that I am on their sub list. Most of the time when they call, I am not available, but I have taken 3 last minutes jobs at a high school that is a 35-40 minute drive. I tell the caller I will get there as soon as I can. The caller tells the school that I am on the way and they arrange to cover until I get there.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 20, 2012

I subbed when I was in college. I almost always got the call the night before I needed to sub. There used to be two women who did it for the school district--one for elementary, and one for middle and high school. There would be a race between the two of them to call me first every day, but the elementary one usually won! Sub assignments in my district are computerized now, as I'm sure they are in many other districts, too.

7. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 20, 2012

The district i work for uses Aesop and i usually know the night before and lately a day or two before even..which i love :D

So it will depend on wether or not you are dealing with a human on the other end of the phone or an automated service.

In my district the service calls me as well, during set times that the district allows. I prefer the website so i can see and read the details of the assignment.

Good Luck to you!

8. Giulietta

Giulietta Rookie

Nov 3, 2012

I'm not sure how other districts do it but mine has a calling system and an online system. It took some time to get hired (as they only hire every few months or so) but once I was in it was easy. A lot of teachers know ahead of time and I've scheduled weeks in advance, other times it's been the day of. I've had no problem getting enough jobs, my district is pretty large I think. I absolutely love subbing and if you're going into an education career it is great experience!!

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2012

Our district only accepts subs with teaching credentials.

10. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Nov 4, 2012

My Districts use AESOP, and the secretary at the building I frequent the most has my cell number. She'll text or call me if they are short or need a last minute sub the morning of.

If it's automated and your district isn't completely flooded with subs after a bit you can start scheduling in advance. I have next week entirely booked, though most of those are from requests.

If they are desperate enough they'll take you as soon as you can get there.

11. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Nov 29, 2012

Usually if they call you same-day, you can speak to a person and say, "it will take me an hour to get there, is that fine?" Usually it is. However, I usually book my days ahead of time by picking up the jobs online, and haven't once had a subbing job this year where I got the call the same day unless I was booked for a morning half-day, and the office called the classroom to see if I could work the afternoon either in that building or at one nearby. If you don't plan on using an online system to book jobs ahead of time, I recommend being awake by 5am, getting ready, just in case. Most districts start calling around 5am, but if you aren't at the top of their list, you may not get the call until much later. Better to be breakfasted and ready to go, or getting ready when they call. Subbing is very rewarding, and I highly recommend it. I left a "more steady" job because I loved subbing and not retail, and decided to open up my availability for subbing. I haven't looked back. I love it.