Questions from a new traveling art teacher..

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by sschild, Jul 6, 2014.

1. sschild

sschild New Member

Jul 6, 2014

Hello,

I've recently accepted my first art teaching position. Naturally, as a first year teacher, I have some questions.

In early August I am supposed to attend the New Teacher Orientation and some PD sessions...however I still have some questions.

First, I am trying to understand WHY their are traveling art teachers. I assume it's from budget reasons, but the art teacher at one of the schools I will be traveling to also travels between two schools. What is the reason for this? Why have two teachers that travel and not just have one?

Also, at my home school I already know the grades I will be teaching, but at the other ES I have no clue. Am I supposed to contact the other art teacher? The principal?....I don't want to seem like a nag though.

Another Question:
    What is the process of getting to see the classroom that I'll be in?
    I'm trying to start lesson planning, but I'd also like to know what is already available to me (I'm hoping the previous art teacher left some things). Again, should I contact somebody about this or will this most likely be answered at New Teacher Orientation?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I would love it if anybody would answers my questions...and ease some of my stress. :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2014

First, breathe...

We cant possibly have the answers to these questions.

Some of these could have been answered as part of your hiring process.
    Why not call your district and ask if you can come in,see your space and get the other questions answered?

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2014

Most of these questions are for your principals, as czacza said.

As for multiple traveling teachers at one school- this was common in my old district. It was all about numbers. Almost all the specials teachers in my district (20 schools) had two schools. My school only had specials teachers three days a week. Some schools in the district needed specials teachers two or four days a week. In a perfect world, you match up the 3 day per week schools with the 2 day per week schools. But then what happens with the teachers at the 4 days per week schools? In my district, these were a rarity, so they were usually split by two teachers- each had two days.
    I'm doing a terrible job of explaining, I know...

5. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

You hit the nail on the head - budget cuts.

Yes, contact your admin.