Questions for the principal?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Beth2004, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 6, 2010

While I was searching for a job (spring-summer of 2005, 2006, 2007) I was always told to make sure I had questions for the school. I found it difficult to come up with questions because I had very little experience other than student teaching and a LTS position. I would research the school and try to come up with questions, but more than anything I just wanted a job and I didn't feel passionately enough about anything else to come up with questions easily.

I was thinking about this the other day, though, and realized that after almost 3 years in my current position, there are a lot of things I would ask in an interview elsewhere if I were looking for a new job. For example, I teach reading using a balanced literacy approach and readers' workshop. I can't imagine going back to being required to use a basal at this point. That would be one of my first questions in an interview: "What does your reading curriculum look like and how much flexibility do the teachers have?"

Is there anyone here who has found that after a few years of experience you were able to think of more questions or things that would be deal-breakers about a school?

What about people who are searching for their first jobs? Do you find it easy or difficult to think of questions for the people who are interviewing you?

I'm just curious if there are other people out there who think like me... :)

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 8, 2010

I guess I'm alone on this one then..... ;)

4. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Mar 8, 2010

I'm a job searcher, and I usually do not have questions when asked. I have heard the same advice, as well. I just can't think of a question that doesn't sound like I'm asking a question to hear myself talk. I am also applying to two counties close to home. I have been able to find answers to the questions I would have of a non-local school.

At this point, I can't even imagine an answer to a question that would change my mind.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2010

I typically asked what kinds of professional learning was provided? What kinds of beginning teacher support they provided? If they didn't mention them, I also asked about programs and how they typically teach certain things...workshop based? etc.

6. mistah

mistah Rookie

Mar 12, 2010

I would think that you want to ask a maximum of 5 questions. The first question you asked, I always ask, also. I use book club and don't even want to touch a basal reader (except for maybe assessments). Plus, in asking questions you can actually sell yourself as well....for instance.....I'm very interested in helping out with after school programs and noticed on your website that you have this, that, and the other (of course you would name the actual ones they have) program availble, what opportunities are there for me to get involved with the after school programs provided? I might also ask: "howwouldyou describe a successful teacher? Or, what does a typical day look like for a teacher (you can get to kno the culture of the building...what time you are asked to report, etc). Of course, you would have to check the website to make sure these questions aren't answered ahead of time.