Questions for Teachers #9

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by marcus903, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 18, 2011

Okay, but please provide me with questions when you answer my "question for teachers" threads.

Also, please let me try out this assessment thing. It's not a test nor a review, I'm just practicing assessing people so when I become a teacher I know what to do.

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 18, 2011

Please stop making these threads as they just seem to draw out the worst in everybody. That is not to say you should stop asking questions, but ask one or two at a time. Make them the ones you care the most about.

This is entertaining all right, but for all the wrong reasons...these threads seem to just get hostile. I can't make you stop posting like this, but I will ask nicely. Please?

3. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 18, 2011

What about you just provide me with questions when you answer them?

The reason why I am not giving any feedback is because it's too much work, I don't want to have to go back and look at all the replies you have made.

So please, provide me with at least 1 question everytime you answer my questions. If you don't, then it is not likely that I will provide feedback.

I am going to make an assessment soon.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 18, 2011

I don't have a problem with that, but I just don't think this is an appropriate way to use a forum. The whole thing has become less about the questions themselves, and more about "the mystery behind marcus". I would definitely suggest survey monkey as the other person did earlier.

If it's too much work, then why ask so much? If you ask only one or two questions each time, it will lighten your load. This is something you can learn about teaching. If you overwhelm students with work, they don't get as much out of it as if you give them just a few engaging tasks to work on. So please, engage!

5. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 18, 2011

I agree with Mathemagician- I think it would better to just post two or three questions at a time for us to answer. It makes things smoother.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 18, 2011

Actually, knowing the correct usage of these words could help this student a lot in the future.

Should this student pursue a college degree, he shall have to write a lot in college.

Plus.....I did not have a lot of time to write. :D

7. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 18, 2011

Yeah, but I was going to provide your feedback tomorrow or Friday.

So let's just stick to asking me questions when you answer mine and after I post my assessment and my feedback thread, then I will use survey monkey for any additional threads.

Edit: 2 or 3 questions are not enough.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 18, 2011

If I understand what you are saying ...... you don't presently have the time to "look" at the (180 or so) replies to your questions, right? ..... So I have to wonder why you still ask more questions?

Maybe you should slow down and look at each and every reply given back to you ........... all the way back to Questions for Teachers #1.

Just a thought, marcus........:)

9. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 18, 2011

I'll do that when I make the feedback thread.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 18, 2011

It's too much work for you to read all the responses to your many questions and merely answer one or two questions?

I'm not sure who you think these 'assignments' are entertaining...I have my thoughts on this, and I don't think it's those who respond.

An 'assessment' means something specific to professional educators. So while you may call what you are doing a 'unit' and posting yet another series of questions that you call an 'assessment', they really aren't either. It's not that we don't 'get it'. You may actually come to find, if you take the time to read the responses and reflect upon them and upon your own actions, that professional educators understand much more than you give credit for.:2cents:

11. IntheFold

IntheFold Rookie

May 18, 2011

Marcus, this forum reminds me of a movie. I don't know if you've seen it. The movie is MATILDA. One line I always remember is "I'm BIG, your SMALL!". The lines goes into "adults" are always right and children are always wrong. This forum is filled with a lot of "big" professional teachers don'tcha know?! So, we always be wrong and they always BE professional and BIG. So, we can't dare question them! They are never wrong. They always do right by children!

12. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 18, 2011

I really don't understand how it's too much work to answer our questions but you're the one posting threads, this is the 9th, with almost ten questions per threads full of questions for us to answer... Is that not a lot of work for us?

13. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 18, 2011

Did you read my posts?

I have to go back at the 180 replies you gave me, and I have to provide feedback to EVERYONE'S replies.

14. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 18, 2011

The next "Questions for Teachers" thread. Again, I have ALOT of questions so get those fingers ready to start typing.

1. Do you go by a 10-month contract or a 12-month contract?
    I go by a 10-Month Contract.

2. When is your last day of school?
    Our last day of school is June 22nd.

3. When do you usually go home?
    Since I am the Site Coordinator for our afterschool Program, I usually go home around 6:00pm, maybe 6:30pm.

4. When was your MAP Testing? Please ignore this question if you do not do MAP Testing

5. Have you ever been yelled at by another staff member?
    No, and why would another staff member yell at me?

6. What would you do if a student was disrespecting you and telling you to shut the F up? The reason I said F is so you know what I'm talking about, not to swear
    First off, if it was my student they would be kicked out; sent to the Main Office or Guidance Office. I would call home, and ask for a In-School Conference with their parent and have them repeat what they told me to their parent(s). If it was another student in the Halls or in another grade, I would speak with their Homeroom Teacher and the Principal and when the Parent(s) comes to pick them up, I would speak to them during that time. Telling a Teacher or any Adult to Shut the F up is unappropriate and I will not tolerate it.
    Critical Thinking

7. High school Teachers only: Do you think high school students should be able to take off on their birthday? Why or why not?

8. Should Corporal Punishment be banned or prohibited in the United states? Why or why not?
    YES! Especially, in Schools.

Descriptive Writing

9. If you could remove one school rule, what would it be and why?
    I don't have one I would remove, I think all of our rules are good.[/I]

9A. If you could remove a staff policy at your school, what would it be and why?
    NONE.

Evaluating

10. What is the most difficult and/or frustrating things about teaching?
    Unsupportive Parents, Unsupportive Administration, Dealing with the attitudes of other Staff/Faculty Members, dealing with Central Office and always recieving the "run-around."

11. Have you ever called security/safety/help from another staff member? Why?
    No.

Exordinary Writing

12. What can you do to help school become a better place?
    Continue to Educate the Students, and ensure that they are learning in a safe and fun school environment.

15. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 18, 2011

Marcus, you are simply rude. Yes, I read your posts. If you read mine you would notice that I never said that you must provide feedback to everyone's posts just that you should answer the questions we have for you. Why should we answer your ridiculous amount of questions if you don't show us the same respect and answer ours?

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 18, 2011

marcus, you asked the questions...... some very good teachers replied.. some very good teachers opted not to.... Have you actually read the 180 or so replies? If not you should do so...... Does that make sense?.........

Do you understand how some might interpret "Did you read my post?" as a somewhat rude reply?...... Think about it, marcus.....:)

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 18, 2011

It seriously pains me, as an educator, that we cannot seem to make a difference here. I think it's time to give up, unfortunately.

Marcus, I like others have tried to teach, demonstrate, coach, guide, whatever, and sadly, you have been rather unresponsive. I personally tried to demonstrate polite forum decorum. But you have been unwilling to even try. So go ahead, post your questions, do whatever you want with them. You will continue, undoubtedly, to get multiple responses. I hope your quest is fulfilled.

18. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 19, 2011

I'm not understanding HOW I am rude. And I'll say this one more time, if you give ME questions when you answer my questions then that will help.

19. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 19, 2011

One reason why I said that is because if people don't read my posts, then how am I supposed to respond to them?

I've repeated myself over and over again and people still don't get it. If people read my posts, then I will be happy to answer their questions.

20. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 19, 2011

Marcus, you've mentioned before your disability, which at times can make it hard for people with that disability to take the perspective of others in "social" situations. You've said several times that you do not understand why others think you are being rude, and other have given you several reasons, and even quoted several things you've said. I would challenge you with this question:

From others' perspectives, why do you think they are seeing you as rude?

Also, here's a quick suggestion: if one person seems to have an issue with something you've done, it may or may not be just that person that has the issue. However, if many people react to something you've done in the same way, there's a better chance that they are right, because more people think it.

You've maintained over and over that you are right, and that others are wrong. Are you interested in growing as a person, and in understanding why others may be seeing you as rude?

I'm really trying here to not take a "side" or to be unnecessarily critical marcus, but I'm afraid if things continue without change you might not find what you are looking for on this forum.

21. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 19, 2011

22. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 19, 2011

Marcus, if you don't mind, let's start with the first. What I'm asking you to do is make a guess as to why others see some of your statements as rude. Take one someone quoted before, and pretend you are the other person. Would you mind writing why you think people thought it was rude? I know you don't see it yet, but what I'm asking you to do is just take a guess. You may not agree with what others think, but see if you can at least guess what they're thinking and why.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

Here's another suggestion, Marcus.

If you really want to know what teaching is like, don't post surveys, read the threads that already exist.

It's the end of a year, and the economy is brutal. So a lot of the posts now are vents. You can learn a lot about how the economy is effecting teaching and teachers and students by reading a lot of the more recent posts.

Then go back to the threads started last summer. You'll read a lot of the hopes and promises, of plans and the tangible excitement that teachers feel as a school year approaches. You'll hear a lot of back and forth on different approaches and methods.

The stuff in between are what make up a typical school year-- how best to approach a certain topic, how to deal with a difficult student or colleague, how to juggle the many demands facing a teacher.

All of these will give you a far better idea of what we do all day than your surveys, because they reflect what's important to teachers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.