Questions for Teachers #8

Discussion in 'General Education' started by marcus903, May 12, 2011.

1. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

May 12, 2011

The next questions for teachers thread. I have alot of questions so prepare those fingers.

1. Have you ever witnessed a fight in your classroom?

2. How old were you when you started teaching?

3. What duties do you have? (recess duty, lunch duty, hall duty, etc) and when do you have them?

4. Do you allow your students to eat or drink in class?

5. When is your "prep" period? Or if you're a elementary school teacher, when do you have a time to grade papers, do lesson plans, etc?

Critical Thinking

6. Do you think teaching is the best job for you? Why or why not?

7. How many sick days should a teacher have? If none, why?

Analyzing

8. Give 3 reasons why you think teaching is important.

Descriptive Writing

9. For the last 3-4 years, Barack Obama talked about extending the school year. Do you like this idea? Why or why not?

Evaluating

10. Would you teach sex education? Why or why not?

3. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 12, 2011

Luckily, no!

I was 20 when I got licensed, and I was 21 when I started teaching.

3. What duties do you have? (recess duty, lunch duty, hall duty, etc) and when do you have them?

I taught at the university level for the last two years. I don't have recess duty or hall duty, but I do have test proctoring duties at the end of each semester, and I must have regularly scheduled office hours each week outside of class.

I don't mind if students bring water to class.

5. When is your "prep" period? Or if you're a elementary school teacher, when do you have a time to grade papers, do lesson plans, etc?

No "prep" period for me at the university level, but I have plenty of office hours and time to finish my work.

Critical Thinking

Teaching is definitely the best job for me. I love helping people, I love learning, and I like the freedom I have with my subject.

Teachers should definitely be allowed some sick days (they're not superhuman!). I couldn't give you an exact number, though.

Analyzing

Teaching is the only way to keep society going--if no one can learn from the past, then we won't get anywhere!

Descriptive Writing

9. For the last 3-4 years, Barack Obama talked about extending the school year. Do you like this idea? Why or why not?

There are some school systems that are more successful than ours that have FEWER school days. I don't know if MORE is necessarily the best plan (although I wouldn't be opposed to tacking on a week or two extra). I think we need to look more carefully at what we're doing while we're in school--standardized testing is king, and there isn't a lot of flexibility in the curriculum. I think changes to those aspects of education will yield better results.

Evaluating

Probably not. I don't have the scientific knowledge to do so!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

Well, I'm not certified to do so.
    But if it had to be done, sure. I've had "the talk" with my older daughter. I imagine she was embarassed, but I wasn't.

After giving birth twice and a mastectomy, I'm pretty had to embarass.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 12, 2011

Once that I recall. Almost all of our fights happen in the hall.

Twenty-three.

None of those, but plenty of other responsibilities. Well, we are to be out in the halls between classes, but that's pretty standard.

Water, sure.

Around midday.

Hmmm. I think at this point I'd be more passionate about something else (animal related). It's strange because I'm still passionate about teaching, but I don't feel it's getting to shine through.

In a perfect world, it would be as in Alice's case: if you need a sick day, either for yourself or family member, you have one. Obviously there are those who would abuse that. I think I get ten sick days (in addition to personal and emergency days) and I find that to be plenty.

To teach history, to help prepare students for the future...and it also provides a way for many students in various states of need to have those needs met (meaning non-academic).

No. I don't think it's so much time that we lack, but other things...

Would I personally to sixth graders? It depends on how you define sex education. In our school, sixth grade has "sex ed" but it's primarily about wearing deodorant. :p I would certainly be willing to teach that. If I disagreed with the depth of content, I would not want to. Teaching the mechanics of sex at any age (do they even do that?) is not something I'd teach.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 12, 2011

---not really. Stopped a few from happening.

---every 4 or 5 weeks, we have after school duty.

---I allow them to drink water.

---After school and at lunch.

Critical Thinking

---I think I lack the organization skills to really be as good of a teacher as I can.

---10 that can be used as floating holidays as well.

Analyzing

---Really?

Descriptive Writing

---It's only a good ideal if the time is used to more effectively teach what the current goals and standards are or to ensure that students have access to a comprehensive curriculum - i.e. art, music, PE, etc. If the extra time is filled with more reading, math, and science i.e. "We want all high school juniors to take calculus" then it's a very bad idea.

You should definitely read a post I've written on the matter.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=132080

Evaluating

I did and no.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 12, 2011

1. Have you ever witnessed a fight in your classroom?Yes. Twice.

I was 22.

I have hall duty between classes and every fifth week before school.

During my third block class I allow my students to have a small snack in the first 5-10 minutes of class during journals. They don't get to eat lunch until 1:30.

I get 90 minutes daily.

Yes. Nothing else would let me be structured, creative, make a difference and be with kids.

At least five, though that's more than I've used in six years.

Students need to learn things. Students need emotional support. Teachers impact lives forever.

I do not like this idea. I use my summers working at a camp for gifted students and I need that time to recharge.

Yes. It's an important topic for students to know, and students need to have access to that information.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 12, 2011

It wouldn't bother me to teach it, but I should probably have more of a science or health background. We talk enough about it in Brit Lit anyway. I had to teach the kids what copulate means because it came up in "Night."

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 12, 2011

Yes. Typically they're just verbal arguments. I have had a punch thrown here and there. I've been at this for 18 years, and I've had maybe 5 fights. Nothing too bad.

I was 22.

Every day I have restroom duty between one class and hallway duty between classes and at dismissal. We rotate other duties on a weekly basis, so we typically do each one once, maybe twice a year: bus, breakfast, afternoon activity, front step, front door.

I don't mind unless we're using the laptops or they are causing a disruption.

Mine has been fifth period for the last few years. That's roughly from the 1:00-2:00 range.

Critical Thinking

It's the only job I've ever had, and I've had it for 18 years. I'd say that's a pretty good indicator that it's a good job for me.

Everybody needs to be able to take time off when needed. As to how many days, who knows? There have been years that I didn't miss a single day. This year I've gone home early twice and been out twice. One year I missed 45 days.

Analyzing

• ignorance is not a good thing
    • people need a way to get knowledge
    • Ummmm . . . . can't think of another one right now.

Descriptive Writing

It's not necessarily a bad idea, but simply going for more days isn't the answer. There are way more factors that time that need to be addressed to fix education. Just throwing time and money at it aren't the answers. I wish I knew the answer.

Evaluating

If I were qualified to do so, certainly.

10. DaveG

DaveG Companion

May 12, 2011

Not in my classroom, no. The majority of fights take place in the hall and yes, I've seen a few.

I have hall sweep first period in the morning. I round up tardy students and take them to the central area.

No, it's against school policy.

I have one period every day for prep.

Critical Thinking

I enjoy it very much. Like any profession, it has pros and cons.

Don't know if I could give any specific number, but comparable to the standard for the area.

Analyzing

Descriptive Writing

For some schools, I think this would absolutely be a good thing. The problem right now is not that our school year is too short, per se, but that we waste a lot of time on non-instructional activities.

Evaluating

Yes, it's an important part of education. Ideally, though, school is not the first place that one receives sex education. Hopefully parents are educating their children.

11. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 12, 2011

No.

I don’t have to many duties. During Fire Drills, I am the Lead Teacher on the on the other side of the building. This means, I have a Radio; I click over to the Principal on the Radio and I let her know which students are missing from the assigned Homerooms that take Fire Exit 2 (I have my Radio off during class.)
    I allow them to drink and eat during their snack right after Special(s).
    My Prep Period is 2nd Period every day. My Team has Grade Level Meetings every Wednesday in my Room. I also grade Papers and Prepare lessons during my Lunch Period (If I don’t leave school for Lunch.) Critical Thinking

I LOVE teaching!
    I think Teachers should be able to take Sick Days whenever it is needed. We get sick just like anyone else.
    Analyzing

Descriptive Writing

I think it’s not a bad idea, but it does have its pros and cons. We are an Air Conditioned School, but not every school in my District has AC. Changes would have to be made.

Evaluating

I would teach Sex Ed. It’s important and we have to educate our students on that subject.

12. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 13, 2011

If I had to.

13. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 13, 2011

Yes, twice. One was really silly, and I almost had to keep from laughing.

Study hall this year, but most years, hall duty. Every other day.

No.

5th period, which is every othe day.

Critical Thinking

Yes. I have done several other jobs, and this is the only one that even on bad days, i can go to bed, and the next day be able to go back to work with a smile.

they should get what they need.

Analyzing

Without education, society will crumble.

Descriptive Writing

It could be, but it depends on the reason. If it's for more testing, absolutely not.

Evaluating

10. Would you teach sex education? Why or why not?[/QUOTE]

Sure, why not?

14. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 14, 2011

No, but at my first teaching assignment I broke up several right outside of my classroom.

I'd just turned 22.

Lunch Duty after my conference period.

No. My principal doesn't like it, so I don't allow it.

We're on block schedule so I have 1st off on A-days and 6th off on B-days.

Critical Thinking

I love my job. I wake up and I can't wait to get there and I go home feeling like I've done a good job. I really enjoy it, I know I'm going to laugh every day and I can't imagine doing anything else.

I think my districts policy of 10 days (sick and personal) plus rollover from the previous year is sufficient.

Analyzing

You have to pass on knowledge for society to continue.
    It gives kids an opportunity to learn and explore opportunities for the future

Descriptive Writing

9. For the last 3-4 years, Barack Obama talked about extending the school year. Do you like this idea? Why or why not? I'm not against expanding the school year, but I don't think it's the silver bullet everyone thinks it would be. When we get compared to other countries, no one ever takes into account that we teach EVERYONE while other countries only teach their best and brightest.

Evaluating

10. Would you teach sex education? Why or why not?[/QUOTE]
    I would if it was sex ed or unemployment but I don't really want to. I teacher high schoolers and for the most part I'm still less than 10 years older than them. It would be super-awkward.

15. ally06

ally06 Companion

May 14, 2011

1. Have you ever witnessed a fight in your classroom? No

2. How old were you when you started teaching? 21

3. What duties do you have? (recess duty, lunch duty, hall duty, etc) and when do you have them? 1 15-min recess duty every day

4. Do you allow your students to eat or drink in class? Only water

5. When is your "prep" period? Or if you're a elementary school teacher, when do you have a time to grade papers, do lesson plans, etc? I have 2 hours a week, broken up into 3 sessions

Critical Thinking

6. Do you think teaching is the best job for you? Why or why not? Yep, it is a job I love and am good at.

7. How many sick days should a teacher have? If none, why? Ideally, as many as needed. I know people who would abuse that though so I say at least 10.

Analyzing

1. People need an education
    2. An educated society is important
    3. We are preparing kids to be critical thinkers in life

Evaluating

10. Would you teach sex education? Why or why not? Sure, I already do.

16. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

May 14, 2011

The next questions for teachers thread. I have alot of questions so prepare those fingers.

No, we really don't have a lot of fights in our school. Some "horseplay" in the hallways is about as bad as it gets. I saw two boys pushing each other in the hallway last week and I handled it poorly.. I'll do better next time.

21, I'm 22 now.

We switch off duties and have a rotation schedule. Most weeks I don't have any duty, but we switch off with car-line duty, morning cafeteria, morning gym, and bus-duty.

Yep, I don't care what they're eating, so long as it isn't distracting them or anyone else. If it is, I just ask them to put it away until later. I've had no problems with that. I like snacking during the day.

We are on a rotating schedule. I have prep 6th and 7th period, but the time of the day changes based on "A week" "B week" or "C week"

Critical Thinking

Absolutely. I was 100% meant to teach. I can't imagine being happy with any other career. Well... maybe I could be happy doing one-on-one counseling with children and young adults.. it would still be teaching, though :)

Teachers need sick days because they get sick... I don't understand the question. We have 13 per year in my district, but they roll over. Usually the sick days aren't all used, barring some sort of emergency. They can be used as paid maternity leave or retirement if you don't use them up.

Analyzing

1. Many students live in an environment where they don't have adult role models, teachers fill that posititon. 2. Students need to learn how to develop respect and appreciation for people they meet in life. 3. Students need to learn skills that they can apply to careers and life.

Descriptive Writing

I think the school year is an appropriate length. I wouldn't be against year round school (same # of days, more frequent breaks), but even that cuts down on time for family vacations and summer camps. Kids need to be kids.

Evaluating

umm.. I'd rather not, but I would if I had to.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 14, 2011

I had to teach a type of sex ed program to third graders. As long as it is age appropriate, I have no problem with it.