Questions for Teachers #4

Discussion in 'General Education' started by marcus903, Apr 17, 2011.

1. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 17, 2011

Here's the next "Questions for Teachers" thread.

Remember, these threads are made because I want to get information about being a teacher and so that if I do decide I want to be a teacher, I'll know what to expect based on the experience you guys have.

1. When are you planning on retiring?

2. Were you previously a student teacher?

3. Do you have to deal with immature students?

4. What would be your reaction if you got laid off?

5. Do you give out passes to the bathroom, locker, water, etc?

Critical Thinking

6. Should students wear uniforms? Why or why not?

7. Should Hall Monitors get paid? Why or why not?

Informational Question

8. How do teachers write students up for a suspension, detention, etc?

Exordinary writing

9. You are the principal of a school, give a list of policies and rules you would make and why.

NOTE: Just to let you know, there will be another "Questions for Teavhers" thread coming up later this week. I will be making 2 per week. Also, I like to thank you for answering my questions nicely. Thanks.

3. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2011

OK?

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2011

I won't be eligible to retire with full benefits until age 55. That gives me 15 more years to work.

Yes. I was a student teacher from January to May of 1993.

Yes . . . and sometimes teachers, too.

I would be very, very surprised. I've been with the school district since 1993. I have tenure, and I have only good evaluations. They lay off by seniority, so if they get to me, there is some serious trouble somewhere.

No. If they need to go, they ask during independent work time. They can't go during instruction or during the first/last 10 minutes of class.

Critical Thinking

I don't really care if they do or not. It's really a non-issue for me.

We don't have any such thing as a hall monitor.

Informational Question

Teachers don't do that. That is only an administrative job. I write up a referral slip for student misbehavior, and then it is sent to a principal. It is up to the principal to determine the punishment.

Exordinary writing

9. You are the principal of a school, give a list of policies and rules you would make and why.
    There really isn't all that much that's completely under the "rule" of the principal. Most things are determined by the district, the school council, the departments, or the grade-level teams.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2011

After twenty-seven years of service, if not sooner.

Yes, as it was required.

Every day. Just part of it...

There would be a tiny part of me that would be thrilled. :unsure:

No locker visits ever, but bathroom breaks are on an as-needed basis so I don't deal with passes.

I like "casual uniforms"...a school t-shirt or sweatshirt each day with jeans.

As in students? No. Heck, it's fun when you're young! :)

We can't suspend or assign detentions. We write an office referral (they provide the duplicate forms) and the office makes the decision.

I'm about to eat...this would take too long. :p

6. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 17, 2011

I'm only in my 20s, so I have no idea. I come from a long line of people who are incapable of retiring, so I'll probably work as long as someone lets me!

Yes, I student taught for one semester in order to receive my teaching license.

I work at the university level, and I still see a great deal of immature students. I also encounter a lot of immature adults on a day-to-day basis, so it's one of those things that will probably never change.

Cry for a while, polish up the resume, look for more work!

At the university level, no. When I student taught at a high school, I gave passes for any instance in which students left the room.

I see some advantages to uniforms (they equalize students), but I really don't care either way.

I've never attended or worked at a school that had hall monitors. If they existed, however, I don't think they should receive compensation.

When I did my student teaching, there were small forms that the teacher turned into the office. The student received a copy, the office received a copy, and the teacher received a copy.

In most student handbooks, rules and policies could take up pages and pages. My most important ones would have to be:

1. Arrive to class on time every day--excessive tardies (>3) result in detention.
    2. No cell phone use in the classroom--if a student has a phone out in class, it should be confiscated and picked up later by a parent/guardian. This is my biggest pet peeve, and at the college level, I can't confiscate phones. Students distract me (and other students) like crazy with those things.
    3. Treat students, staff and the school property with respect at all times.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2011

Oh, I need about 20 more years before that'll come along

Nope. Trial by fire.

I only have a handful of kids who are immature for their age group.

It happened once before. That time, I was relieved. If it were to happen at my current job, I'd be devastated.

Bathroom and water only if they ask before the bell rings or it's an emergency (and you can tell by their eyes if it's a *real* emergency or not!) Don't have lockers.

Critical Thinking

Ugh, this debate. We have a dress code at our school that currently is not working very well because it is not enforced, nor are the stated consequences followed through on. I don't believe uniforms will be very effective if there's no follow-through.

Don't have hall monitors. Are they students or parents?

Informational Question

Through our online gradebook.

Exordinary writing

I believe most of our policies, rules, and procedures have to follow district guidelines. There's very little the P can actually determine.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2011

This is only my 6th year, so retirement is to far off for me to really think about!
    Yes, I student taught Fall 2004.
    Of course. I teach 6th graders and they want to be adults so badly, but of course aren't mature enough to handle it.
    IDK, It's pretty much guaranteed that I will not get laid off. But if I did I suppose I would apply for a part time job to supplement my husband's income.
    Nope. If they have to use the restroom I let them go as long as I'm not teaching at the moment.
    Critical Thinking
    I think it depends on the area. If the school has problems with gangs or has bullying issues because of part of the population can't afford nice clothes then I would consider uniforms.
    We don't have hall monitors.
    Informational Question
    We have an office referral form that we fill out. Only principals can suspend a student. We just fill out a carbon copy detention form and one copy goes to the student, one we keep, and one goes to the office.
    Exordinary writing
    Quiet passing period. Each class passes at different times so there is always class in session somewhere.
    I would really have to think about any others. Most things are covered in our handbook.

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 17, 2011

1. When are you planning on retiring? I probably won't since I see myself getting out of the profession seeing as it's getting worse and worse.

2. Were you previously a student teacher? Of course. I believe you have to do this before becoming a teacher.

3. Do you have to deal with immature students? Of course

4. What would be your reaction if you got laid off? ****** off

5. Do you give out passes to the bathroom, locker, water, etc? I used to until kids lost my $5 passes! The school doesn't care if students have passes or not. Sad.

Critical Thinking

6. Should students wear uniforms? Why or why not? Not sure. Our school just started this and I haven't seen behavior changes like it was supposed to according to some. Instead, I have had to take on the role of "police" but excuses are made anyway as to why certain kids aren't wearing them and "they shouldn't be at fault" therefore nothing is done after violation after violation.

7. Should Hall Monitors get paid? Why or why not? Hall Monitors? What's that? If they are students, no.

Informational Question

8. How do teachers write students up for a suspension, detention, etc? A write up

Exordinary writing

9. You are the principal of a school, give a list of policies and rules you would make and why. If 5 or less teachers are violating a rule then instead of addressing the entire school, a personal meeting will be had with each one. No Tolerance Policy when it comes to bullying, fighting, stealing.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2011

:)

11. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 17, 2011

When are you planning on retiring? As soon as I win the lottery or marry a wealthy man!

2. Were you previously a student teacher? To teach, you have to do this!

3. Do you have to deal with immature students? I don't "have" to do this, does anyone?????

4. What would be your reaction if you got laid off? What would be your reaction if you got kicked out of school?

5. Do you give out passes to the bathroom, locker, water, etc? NO!

Critical Thinking

6. Should students wear uniforms? Why or why not? Don't care!

7. Should Hall Monitors get paid? Why or why not? What is a "hall monitor?"

Informational Question

8. How do teachers write students up for a suspension, detention, etc? What do you mean? How do YOU write a paper, essay, composition???????

Exordinary writing-What do you mean by this????????????

9. You are the principal of a school, give a list of policies and rules you would make and why. How would YOU answer this question??????

Marcus-Honestly, what is the point of all of these questions and what are YOU getting from our responses????? Is your homework completed?????

12. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 18, 2011

Okay, I don't know why I have to keep saying this. I'm asking these questions to get information on the experience of other teachers so if I do decide to be a teacher, I know what to expect. I don't know why you have problems reading the original post but this is my last time explaining this.

Jesus.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 18, 2011

Marcus. You are going to get nowhere by speaking like that. If you continue to ask unorthodox questions, you are going to get people who question you. First, it's logistics-not everyone who posts here reads every all posts in every thread. So just because you answered it once or twice or three times, some posters may not have seen that. So you either have to deal with questioning, or explain yourself every time.

And yes, these questions are strange to us. I truly do appreciate your inquisitiveness on the subject, but your questions strike me as strange.

A hint-you might thing about phrasing your questions differently. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "critical thinking" and "exordinary writing". You have to understand-not every person is going to write you an essay. In fact, I'd say you are lucky to get a few answers. Most posters I know come to this forum with specific questions, or for the social aspect, or for a little information-not to write a critical thinking essay. So perhaps you could be a wee bit less demanding, ok?

I really think you will learn more by reading through threads and getting a sense of what teachers go through every day, rather than knowing at what age everyone will retire. No doubt, my retirement plan is going to be vastly different from nearly everyone else here. Some questions are just so specific that it might not do you much good to ask them.

But you can continue to post your questions if you want. Just please don't get upset when people question you in return.

14. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 18, 2011

Okay how's this: I won't post any more "Questions for Teachers" threads since this is starting to become a huge issue. Those "Critical Thinking" and "Exordinary" questions was survey questions. But since some users are having real problems answering these questions, I won't make anymore of these threads.

15. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 18, 2011

Marcus I'm very perplexed by all of your posts.

These questions are phrased in a very different manner than your personal replies. Some of your personal answers to questions asked by A to Z members aren't very articulate but your questions are. The different types of questions strike me as strange too almost as if this is a worksheet you have to fill out or you're finding these online. I've also noticed that your replies in this thread are very different to your replies in the other threads in term of sentence structure, clarity, etc.

It all seems very weird so my nature is to question it.

I think that you would learn more by reading threads, books, blogs, etc rather than asking questions.

16. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2011

Do you think you have the patience to be a teacher? If you can't handle a few criticisms from adults then the kids in a class will have you for breakfast!

17. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 18, 2011

Okay.

Please lock this thread.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 18, 2011

Marcus, you've never really sounded to me like a high school student, until this statement. Not many high school students I know are members of a professional forum, asking questions upon which you plan to base your future plans.

That's your choice, but again, if you can't accept some questioning and even criticism, you aren't going to learn very much.

19. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 18, 2011

Okay, do you want me to continue asking questions?

Also, I have a disorder that causes me to get frustrated, that's why I couldn't take criticism. So do you want me to continue asking questions?

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 18, 2011

Sure Marcus, that's what we're here for. But let's just work on your tone, ok? Like, instead of posting a big list and wanting a 3-sentence paragraph or whatever, maybe you could start a thread about Teachers Ready for Retirement. Then you could phrase it like this:

Hi teachers! I've been thinking a lot lately about becoming a teacher, and I'm full of questions. I want to make sure I'm making the right decisions, and I like to plan ahead. Can you tell me, how long have you worked as a teacher? Other professions have options of retiring early. Do you think teachers do?

Or, a thread about rules titled Essential Rules in Your Classroom:

Hi teachers! I've been thinking a lot lately about becoming a teacher, and I'm full of questions. I want to make sure I'm making the right decisions, and I like to plan ahead. I'm sure I'll be participating in some observations as I go into college, and I just wondered, what do you consider to be the essential rules in your classroom? Do you find students willing to follow those rules, or are they rude about it? I know I see both kinds of students in my high school. How do you deal with the rude ones? I once saw a teacher handle it the wrong way, and I don't want to repeat that.

These are just suggestions, Marcus. We all want to help you! I just think with a little softer approach, you might not have to answer so many of the "why are you doing this" kinds of questions. Oh, and definitely work on your thread titles-like I said before, most of us are here for fun and relaxation, and a little information, but I know for me personally, I am here for little bits of time throughout the day. I don't often have time to answer a long list of questions. If I saw a specific thread title that related to me, I'd be more likely to stop by and post a quick answer.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2011

A little unsolicited advice, marcus903: take advantage of the way this medium works. You don't have to respond to someone else's post instantly, any more than any of the rest of us do. If a post frustrates you, go ahead and be frustrated - but hold off on posting your reply till the frustration ebbs, and you could perfectly well take several hours in the process.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2011

Marcus, do you mind me asking, since you have asked us so many questions, what your disorder is?

Many of us have students with different disorders like you are describing. It may help us understand you and your questions a little bit more.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 18, 2011

That's not for another 30-35 yrs for me!

Yes, for a total of 1 yr because I hv 2 creds in mild/moderate disabilities & multiple subj

All the time, but what I hate more are smart assy kids, which they tend to start their attitudes around 4th gr & up

Already happened to me when I wasn't rehired back in 2007. I didn't linger on it much, I just moved on & decided to switch gears to speech-lang pathology

I work w/ kids in a small grp setting, so not really

I did when I attended a private school from gr K-6. I realize it's done so everyone feels the same & there's no peer pressure about who dresses better, who's richer, etc. Plus, it mks kids focus more on their studies rather than who's wearing what today. I didn't mind it myself.

No. It's a part of tkg responsibility & mkg wise choices while on the campus. It should just be a privilege for those who are good students

There's specific slips that are turned into the office each day from what I believe. I don't have to write them up doing the kind of work I do

Too lengthy to type here, but definitely should include respecting others & property, helping to keep the campus clean, & the other usual things

24. pyramidreading

pyramidreading Rookie

Apr 18, 2011

The first possible chance.

Yes.

Yes, and a few adults.

I would get drunk, send a few nasty emails, and then find a new job.

I don't let them go.So far, nobody has ever peed on the floor or died from dehydration in my classroom.

Critical Thinking

Depends on the team. Lakers-good, Celtics-bad.

Depends if they just stand there or actually do something productive.

Informational Question

Typically with a pen on a referral form.

Exordinary writing

1.No teacher sits while students are in the classroom except during standardized testing.

2.Daily lesson plans are required. Period. Three questions must be answered by the lesson plans:
    1) What are the students learning today?
    2) How will the students be taught?
    3) How will the students prove that they learned?

3. I, or an A.P., curriculum coordinator, etc. monitors that the plans match the instruction in every teacher’s classroom everyday.

4.Aggressively work to remove any teacher whom I wouldn’t want teaching my own children.

5.Closed circuit video cameras with sound mounted in every classroom linked to my office. I will pay for this with my own money of necessary.

6.Decorate the bathrooms with murals, disco balls and music containing subliminal messages to work harder in class.

25. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 18, 2011

ADHD, pervasive developmental disorder and cognitive disorder.

Edit: Wow, you guys are so nice.

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 18, 2011

I'm trying to decide if this is serious or not...

27. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2011

Marcus, thank you for sharing this.

28. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Apr 20, 2011

1. When are you planning on retiring? I have another 20+ years before I'm eligible for retirement.

2. Were you previously a student teacher? Yes. I did two placements during my student teacher. One was in a Grade 6 classroom and the other was at a high school where I taught Grade 9 and Grade 12. Each placement was 7 weeks long.

3. Do you have to deal with immature students? Every day. Being immature is part of growing up, I think.

4. What would be your reaction if you got laid off? I would be surprised. I have tenure, so a lot of non-tenured teachers would have to be laid off before they got to me.

5. Do you give out passes to the bathroom, locker, water, etc? Nope.

Critical Thinking

6. Should students wear uniforms? Why or why not? I think there are good points and bad points to wearing uniforms. My personal opinion is that it doesn't really matter.

7. Should Hall Monitors get paid? Why or why not? No. However, at my school, all students are required to do a community service component. I think it would be fair for hall monitors to get credit towards that for their service (although we don't have hall monitors).

Informational Question

8. How do teachers write students up for a suspension, detention, etc? We don't. There is no formal detention at my school. I don't have the power to suspend a student. For that, I need to go to my administrator.

Exordinary writing

9. You are the principal of a school, give a list of policies and rules you would make and why. Lol - I would need a lot more time and a lot more room.

29. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Apr 20, 2011

1. When are you planning on retiring? It's my first year, I have no plans yet. :)

2. Were you previously a student teacher? Yes. I did one half time semester, followed by a full time semester in the same classroom.

3. Do you have to deal with immature students? I work with 2nd graders, I'll let you decide. ;)

4. What would be your reaction if you got laid off? I work for a small charter school so fortunately I know I'm safe for next year, however, if I were, I would be absolutely devastated. I moved 600 miles away from home for this job so being laid off would be a big problem.

5. Do you give out passes to the bathroom, locker, water, etc? Again, 2nd grade teacher.. my kids know that they have the freedom to go before school starts and during lunch. We also take 2 scheduled bathroom breaks a day. I do have a few students that need to go more frequently and they know as long as I'm not teaching (they're in centers or doing independent/group work) they can go as long as they let me know they're going. In my class, they hold up 3 fingers to let me know they need to go so I can spot them across the room and give them a nod without having to disturb anyone.

Critical Thinking

6. Should students wear uniforms? Why or why not? I never really had a stance on uniforms until I started teaching at a school with uniforms. I think they're great. It's one less distraction to worry about. There are a lot of combinations for students to mix and match so they don't have to wear the exact same thing every day. Occasionally we'll have a dress down day where the kids can wear their normal clothes and they get really excited about it.

7. Should Hall Monitors get paid? Why or why not? We don't have them and I've never seen them when I was in school.

Informational Question

8. How do teachers write students up for a suspension, detention, etc? Again, dealing with second grade this isn't really an issue. If I do have a behavior issue out of my control, however, I can send the student to the school director.

Exordinary writing

I don't even know where to begin.... Too many to list to be short and concise.

30. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 3, 2011

Wow talk about rudeness. Do you speak to your own students in this manner?

31. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

May 3, 2011

Hey Marcus - I've been reading a few of your threads, but haven't chimed in too much. When I read this, it put some of your other statements in perspective. Again, this is unsolicited, so tell me if you'd like me to not comment, but since you mentioned it publicly, I'd like to offer this, which you may already know, but others may not: Sometimes, people with PDD or similar disorders process information differently, and perceive/respond to social situations and language differently. Understanding a bit more about you, it makes sense that you are asking questions in a very linear format, and approaching your quest for knowledge in a more factual manner.

Hopefully you can understand that others may approach conversations differently - just as you may be frustrated by some styles of responses, others may be frustrated by yours. I agree with the suggestions to consider immersing yourself more in other threads, and becoming a "part of the group." Perhaps consider this: see if you can start to pick up how certain members tend to react to different types of threads and comments, and see what those responses tell you about teachers. For example, are some people very quick to emotionally process information? Do some only comment when they disagree with something? Which members tend to offer support, as opposed to challenge? These subtle differences in how members respond may give you some ideas for what other members find acceptable and unacceptable in terms of posts, starting threads, etc., and could give you some pretty unique insights into the minds of some teachers!

To respond to your question about whether you should continue creating these threads, it seems that most people are okay with responding to them, and that they are quite popular, but I liked the idea someone mentioned about considering starting smaller threads about one particular topic.

To other forum-goers, I would suggest that we respect that each member can post threads/posts as s/he pleases, and that we may not find ourselves interested in some or many of those threads. There are many that I choose not to read, either because of the topic, or because of the way that people are approaching the topic. It is probably not my place to step in and make statements about that thread, unless I feel I have something to offer, or have been addressed specifically. I would also suggest that we make an attempt to understand each other the best we can given that this is electronic communication. I know that Marcus has just recently shared information about himself with us, so now that we know more about him and how he might possibly process information, it would be courteous of us to respect that difference and attempt to see things from his perspective as well - why he may be posting the way he is.

Marcus, I apologize if I stepped in too much - when the issue of your "right to post" or whether you should post at all came up, as well as a general discussion of your posting etiquette came up, I thought I might have something to contribute. Feel free to correct me, of course.

32. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 3, 2011

1. When are you planning on retiring? When my mortgage is paid off, in 26 years.

2. Were you previously a student teacher? Yes.

3. Do you have to deal with immature students? All the time

4. What would be your reaction if you got laid off? I'd cry, curse, scream, kick, beat a wall, be depressed for about a week, watch a bunch of movies, then start looking for work

Yes, although I wish I didn't It is very disruptive.

Critical Thinking

No. I worked in a Catholic school, and the uniforms were more of a distraction. We had to monitor whose shirts were tucked in, or buttoned high enough, or whose skirts were rolled up too high. Plus, the boys would stand at the bottom of the stairs and watch the girls walk upstairs. Oh so nice! I knew about my young ladies panties than my own that year.

7. Should Hall Monitors get paid? Why or why not? Our teachers do it, it's part of our schedule.

Informational Question

8. How do teachers write students up for a suspension, detention, etc? We send the referral to an administrator, and it goes from there.

Exordinary writing

1. Listen to teachers and students suggestions of how to make the school better.

2. Get rid of bad teachers, regardless of the cost and process (and when I say bad, ones who have bad evaluations, are on performance plans, etc.)

3. Make standardized testing optional.

4. Never cave into parents who want to make exceptions for their child.

5. Appreciate the teachers for the jobs they do.