Questions for my first interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by woodd2, May 25, 2013.

1. woodd2

woodd2 Rookie

May 25, 2013

So I just got called for my first interview since graduating. I'm excited and nervous, and I obviously want to do a good job. However, to be honest, I don't know a lot about the interviewing process.

What should I be bringing to this interview?
    What should I know about the school district before hand?

Basically, I just need some advice on what to expect and how I can best prepare.

Any help is appreciated!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

Bring multiple copies of your resume and your portfolio. Some choose to make mini-portfolios to leave behind.

I'd read everything on their website- SIT plans, district plans, technology plans, even teacher websites. If you have any experience with any program they use, make sure to mention it.

Good luck!

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 26, 2013

Woodd2,
    Your resume worked! It did its purpose; you got the interview!:cool:
    Relax and remember to stay cool, calm, and collected. It will keep you a step ahead of the interviewers. It will help you recall your organized thoughts without giving out too much info. When asked about your last employers, stress on what you did to make a difference. How did you help them improve their companies; percent wise of number wise.
    Say a prayer for God's help with your interview.
    Get there on time, so you are relaxed and ready.:hugs:
    Good luck!
    Rebel1

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 26, 2013

Rereading my post, it should be bring your portfolio and multiple copies of your resume.
    Sorry! I'd edit, but in case you already read it, I wanted to clarify and make sure it was seen!

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 26, 2013

I think a miniportfolio you could leave behind would be great. I would include cover letter, resume, credential copy and a couple of lesson plans. I don't know what grade / content you teach, if multiple subject, I would definietely include 2 very different grade levels, different content plans. If you're single subject, I would still include 2 different lesson plans, with either very different topics or at the least very different teaching styles. For high school English for example I included a lesson on symbolism, and then one on writing, and made sure it showcased different styles and teaching strategies.

Definitely research the school and the student population. My position was for at-risk youth and that was my experience, so in my lesson plans I targeted at-risk, gang-affiliated youth, and even mentioned it (it turned out great). The information is also good to include in the interview, or to prepare your questions you want to ask them.

7. woodd2

woodd2 Rookie

May 26, 2013

Thanks for the help so far! One more question...

What should I include in my teaching portfolio?

8. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

May 26, 2013

i included my philosophy (one page), an outline of a unit as well as 3 lesson samples (3 different strategies to show that i am flexible and also differentiate instruction) along with lesson plans.

i interviewed last year and was asked a ton of questions on common core and literacy as well as how to appropriately challenge all students at all levels. Im sure you can google top teacher interview questions. theres also a thread on here where people post questions asked in their interview.

Best of luck! Deep breaths. THINK about the question they ask and think about your answer before you start answering. have confidence!

9. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 26, 2013

Definitely research the schools philosophy and ratings - a school with low test scores is going to have a different emphasis than a school with outstanding scores.

Also, you'll probably get questions about common core, differentiating instruction, and working with your department.

10. woodd2

woodd2 Rookie

May 26, 2013

By biggest problem right now is finding out what I should be including in my portfolio and how it should be organized.

The only portfolio I've had up to this point was an ePortfolio, but it's not really something that can be used in an interview. The only experience I have now is my student teaching and substitute teaching, so I feel like I don't have enough to create an effective portfolio.