Questions for HeadStart teachers

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by preschoolermama, Apr 2, 2006.

1. preschoolermama

preschoolermama New Member

Apr 2, 2006

I am considering HeadStart for my child when the next enrollment is open. I am currently teaching preschool at a private center, but may be leaving because of extreme workplace issues. My child has been in preschool classes with me leading for two years and is quite bright, pre-reading, already writing, etc.

Other people have suggested to me that HeadStart will not be a benefit to her because she already knows the things that will be taught. I would like to know honestly if my child will benefit from going to HeadStart. Are there teachers who will encourage her at her level? Is the program more structured or more like daycare? Are the teachers treated and paid well and is turnover generally low?

I do appreciate your answers.

3. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Apr 2, 2006

HeadStart

I am a HeadStart teacher, some areas are run really great some are not. As for you child being challenged that all depends on the teacher. Curriculum is different everywhere. You would have to check into the HeadStart there. Call and ask what curriculum they use and let us know, we are all pretty familiar with them. You may ask to observe a class. It is a very structured classroom. It can be a great place if it is run well. I am not bad mouthing HeadStart, just some are better than others. Teachers just like in the school system has different teaching strategies I am a hands on teacher. I have a question, what about doing Family childcare from your home? I am actually thinking about it myself. I just had a baby not too long ago and would rather be home. You could just do preschool children and it sounds like you have the experience to do it. HeadStart does not pay that well, you have to love what you do to work there. Of course I do but my children come first. It is definitely something to think about.

4. preschoolermama

preschoolermama New Member

Apr 2, 2006

I did home daycare for awhile before I started in a center. Home daycare is easy to burn out on because of the long hours and little adult interaction. I am considering it again though, for various reasons.

5. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Apr 2, 2006

You could always do only certain hours. Maybe do a part day Kindergarten readiness program. Only work the hours you want to It would be great for your child also. Did you get Licenced before?

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2006

Head Start was really designed for kids with no prior preschool experiences, to help them get ready for Kdg. In this area, most kids who attend Head Start come to school with little to no prior knowledge, many of them speak no English, and all of them are poor, poor, poor. Considering those factors, our local Head Starts focus on the very basics - which it seems like your daughter already has gotten from her prior two years of private preschool. I know here that they spend a good bit of time working on colors, shapes, the alphabet, numbers, counting, etc.

But, like the previous poster said, Head Starts are just like public schools - different everywhere. Look into your local one and see if you think it's a good fit for your child.
    Kim

7. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Apr 3, 2006

Something that may help you decide: Volunteer! Most Head Starts love love love classroom volunteers (I know we do), and it would be an awesome way for you to decide if it's right for your daughter.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 6, 2006

I work for Head Start, and have been a classroom teacher, teacher trainer, and am now a manager. First of all, I agree that not all Head Starts are the same,so you do have to check them out.

You have to qualify to enroll your child in Head Start. So I would check that out to see if you even can qualify.
    Now, the philosophy of Head Start says that the teacher is to design the lesson plans based upon the needs of the enrolled children. So, if your daughter has basic skills, the teacher should move her forward with developmentally appropriate activites. Parents have input into the whole program. At each home visit, the parent tells the teacher the topics the child needs, and the teacher is supposed to include them in her lesson plan.

Most Head Starts use Creative Curriculum. Like Play to Learn suggested, ask what curriculum your local Head Start uses, and ask us about it. We love to give advice.

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2006

I know our headstart takes a few kids that don't qualify to help balance things out.

10. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Apr 6, 2006

Headstart do take certain percentage of children who do not meet income requirements. I think here it is 10 percent not sure though. Also they accept as part of that percentage children with disabilities who do not meet income requirements. It is very hard to get one of those slots though. How old is your daughter? It is too late to enroll her for the rest of the school year even summer classes. They are enrolling for the next school yr. Better enroll asap spot fill up quickly and we usually have a waiting list.