Questions for anyone who has moved from first to second.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2014

Taking six kids with me. I know about six more from being in my regrouping class half an hour each day.

I think I have a pretty good class. One super high maintenance "work in progress" girl, two of my nicest boys, a few little drama-queen "popular girls." I also have at least three very stable rock-solid girls who work hard and are well behaved. And a few boys who I might have to sit on. I like those kinds of kids because I was one.

My "work in progress" has wonderful (separated) parents who have no illusions about their child being an angel. The mom made me the most adorable and hilarious scrapbook that included many of the emails I sent her when the girl was in trouble.

It weird because I actually had a say in the makeup of the class. We divided the classes before the decision was made to move me to second grade, and I got the class of the teacher I am replacing. However we had to make a few adjustments based on parent requests.

I'm looking forward to having students who, on the first day, can actually do something. The one thing I've struggled with the most in first grade has been writing because starting out, so many just can't put any thought down on paper. I know with second grade, I'll still have kids who have that issue, but they will be the exception, not the rule.

A few questions:

Will it be that much different? I know that there is a HUGE difference between a beginning of the year first grader and one at the end of the year. I'll be getting kids who are just a few month older than the ones I have now.

How can I capitalized on the fact that I know most of the kids and many of their parents?

What will I need to look out for? Little things, like I heard that second graders even lose more teeth than first graders. More attitude? Less cooperative parents?

Can I teach second grade without putting them on the carpet? In first we actually had to because our curriculum model required it.

Anything else I need to know?

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 1, 2014

I will be watching this thread with interest, because I am making the same move! I am so excited to keep some of my kids and watch the progress over 2 years.

I plan on still doing a lot of teaching at the carpet. I love how cozy it is and there are fewer distractions. Add to that last year my principal bought me a gorgeous carpet, I need to get good use out of it!

I am so excited about how skilled they will be at the beginning of the year compared to grade 1s. Plus a few will already know how things run in my classroom so they can help clue in the rest.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2014

I once looped from 1st to 2nd and it was the best experience ever. Second grade is wonderful. There just as cute and and lovable, but with an increased level of independence and so much more ability. The best part is the first month of school because you'll have enough kids who know the routine and the others will follow. I think you'll love it.

5. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Jun 1, 2014

Carpet time is still important for second graders. i use the time at the beginning of the morning to introduce the day and work out any behavior/schedule kinks...I meet with my reading groups on the carpet during our workshop time, and I use the carpet during our read alouds although by the end of the day, they wanted to be at their desks for read alouds. And I always ended the day on the carpet to talk about the day, do our secret basket, etc.
    Second grade rocks! So cute, independent but they still adore their teacher:)