Questions and responses

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hp123, Feb 28, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 28, 2010

I realize that not every quesiton on here is going to get answer. Some may deem them as unwarranted or a waste of time.

I don't think this should be the attitude and it is very sad. Sure I cuold "google" things, but I'm looking for other's opinions.

If a post does not interest you, pass over it.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

Wow. hp- don't know if this has happened to you directly, but sometimes it's worth a wait for a response...We all have busy lives-teaching, family, friends...

There is a lot of sharing of ideas, activities, opinions here on the forums. There certainly is the instance where we all have 'passed over' a post for which we have no interest or nothing new to add to the conversation. There are more instances where genuine help has been offered, or an alternate view, or even opposition....

Not sure to what you are referring, or if you are just making a general comment...but I think if you hang around a while longer you will see, like most situations in life, it's a mixed bag...give it a chance. :love:

4. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 28, 2010

The comment was a response to something I said in another thread. hp has asked about where to find state learning standards, and I had replied that Google was a better tool for that sort of thing, rather than starting threads.

As I said in the other thread, I meant no offense, and my point was not to discourage discussions. My point was merely to note that certain types of information can be easily found all over the internet in a matter of seconds, and don't always necessitate a forum post.

I apologize if I came off as rude... that was not my intent.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2010

I think that the issue is that you are ONLY asking about things that are easily found by a simple search. There is really no room for discussion. Pretty much one person can answer and it's done.

I know that I posted on one of your questions, which was very vague. You clarified a bit, but I still didn't know enough to help. So, I asked another question. Haven't heard anything else.

People will help and discuss when there is a point of discussion. If you're just asking for one specific thing that can be easily answered, you're not going to get much.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

Did you consider that perhaps the OP had done some research on her own and was seeking better information that members here might have available as professional educators in states other than her own? We've all offered help via a quick internet search for other posters...You can always preface such remarks with 'Did a quick google search using the following terms..." Gets the same information across without having your intent questioned and without having to preface your remark with 'no offense intended but...' .

7. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 28, 2010

Let's drop it

I understand all that is being said. I will try to ask more specific questions. That is reasonable.

The post just made me feel INCREDIBLY stupid, as it would anybody.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 28, 2010

I was very surprised by the response in the other post.

Really, who cares if the information is easily Google-able? If you're not interested in answering someone's questions, don't. It's as simple as that. Other people who do want to help will post answers. Saying, "No offense" doesn't make a comment any less offensive.

9. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 28, 2010

Thank you... you've articulated my point better than I was able to. Perhaps the tone and wording of my original post was in poor taste, and I apologize for that.

10. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 28, 2010

That's fine. I think it still discourages people from posting anything.

Anyway.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 28, 2010

In my opinion, what Ima Teacher articulated about simple questions getting simple answers and not generating discussion is VERY different from what you said in this or the other thread. Maybe you meant to articulate the same point, but you didn't, at all.

This board has always been a very helpful, welcoming board, so seeing someone respond by telling the posters that they should stop asking questions and just google, bothers me. I don't want this to turn into one of those message boards.

12. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 28, 2010

I'm posting to acknowledge that I have followed the discussion, but will step out at this point. I have no desire for any sort of quarrel here.

I acknowledge that I made a poor choice, and will leave it at that.