Questions about training

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Lindsnh, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 6, 2008

I have an interview for a Montessori position 1-3 in a public school. The person over the program told me if I get the position I will be training from June 16th - July 3rd. What does this consist of exactly? I graduated with an Early Childhood degree in Dec so this will be my first teaching job if i get it. So I am nervous about having three grades in one classroom being a first year teacher. During college I observed in a Montessori classroom but it was 3k-5k, I also have a friend whose child goes to a Montessori school ,so I somewhat know how Montessori operates

3. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Come on guys

4. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Jun 8, 2008

I can't imagine going into that position without the proper training. It's just that the methodology and philosophy is so radically different from traditional teaching, it's not that easy to implement. The elementary training is really incredible but extremely involved and comprehensive. Montessori developed intricate materials designed to allow the child exploration and acquisition of abstract concepts. The presentation of her apparatus is an art in itself! The three year age span will be an asset to you, especially if you allow the children the freedom to choose work according to interest and not age AND if you encourage them to teach one another. One of the "strategies" we use is to teach different children different lessons. After becoming proficient, the child is then asked to teach this lesson to a peer. There are many strategies and lots to learn!
    Anyway, good luck with it. I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I truely don't know where to start in answer to your question. Do alot of research. Is the training at an affiliated center?