Questions about subbing

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thisisme, Jan 12, 2011.

1. thisisme

thisisme New Member

Jan 12, 2011

I am new to substitute teaching. Today I found out the teacher I was subbing for may be out for more than one day. Subfinder only has me scheduled for one day. No arrangements have been made for me to come back. Do you think the school should expect me to show up the next day? Should I be responsible for a sub being there in the morning?

3. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jan 12, 2011

I wouldn't go in until you know that the teacher is actually going to be out, and you get a call. I used subfinder a few years ago, and it's pretty good about getting ahold of the right sub if the teacher puts in a request for that specific sub; however, if the teacher just puts that he/she is going to be out again, and it wasn't scheduled on the original absent posting, the sub finding system may find/call another sub. This happens because, I believe, Subfinder is like a lottery system if your number hasn't been requested. IDK though, it's been a while since i've used Subfinder.

4. Subber

Subber Companion

Jan 12, 2011

No and No to both of your questions.

5. waffles

waffles Companion

Jan 13, 2011

No, don't just show up. If they want you to come back they'll let you know.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 14, 2011

No, it's not up to you to get another sub & no, do not just show up again unless you are notified to do so.

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 15, 2011

Well, if you mean should you leave a note for the incoming sub: I do that, when I know that the teacher is going to be out multiple days and I know I won't be there the next day. I just let the next sub know where I left off, what to expect in terms of student behavior, any tricks I used that worked, etc.

8. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jan 15, 2011

Never show up for a job unless you are in the system, even if the regular teacher expects you.
    I had a teacher whom I sub for on a regular basis tell me that my job is ready to go, so I could just show up. WRONG!.
    The district forgot to put my name in the system. Therefore, when I showed up, another sub was slated in my place, so I had to go home.
    It doesn't matter that I was requested, the sub that is in the system has the job, so i got sent home with only a 40% regular day instead of the 120% that this class pays. I lost $90 due to a district mistake.

9. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Jan 15, 2011

Nobody ever wants to have a series of single-day subs in a classroom.

When in doubt, show your concern and respect by asking reasonable questions. I'd always start by trying to contact the teacher, and my next contact would be the school secretary responsible for "checking in" subs. Depending on the school and district, the next contact might be an administrator, a department head, or a teacher in a neighboring classroom or whom I know is familiar with this teacher's situation.

It's very helpful to "fully understand" the substitute-teacher system for a specific district, school, department, or teacher. There's always someone (often the school secretary) who has "superuser" access for tasks that teachers can't do, such as non-contiguous multiple-day assignments, multiple-partial-day assignments, and long-term assignments, or even "swapping" sub assignments to best meet the needs of students.

In some cases, teachers may be prohibited from calling in "multiple-day sub assignments" unless certain conditions are met (often requiring approval from someone who's not immediately available), so they are forced to call in single-day requests. There are also situations where the teacher isn't certain about the duration of an absence (jury duty, recovery from minor surgery), where there is likely a policy about how these should be entered in the system.