Questions about naps in kindergarten

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Mrs. Mom, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

Do your kindergartners take naps when attending full day classes? If so, how long? Do you wake them up or allow them to sleep as long as they want, even if it means that child misses recess or class time? This is going to be a dumb question, I know, but bear with me. Do you ever leave a student sleeping in the classroom ALONE :)eek: ) while you take the rest of the class to a special class???

3. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 9, 2006

My class takes a short rest after lunch. I allow about 40 minutes, but it's really more like 30 once they get settled. As the year goes on, I will shorten this time, but for now I think they need a little more. I have not had a student fall asleep yet, my students usually look at books on their mat or sometimes I'll put on an educational video.

4. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

Mine rest for 45 mins now. I do shorten it as the year goes on. I put classical/instrumental music on. They are to rest quietly and about 5 or 6 sleep.

5. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

We are full day, but do not have a nap/rest time. There wouldn't be time in the day to fit everything in if we had a nap time.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2006

We do not do nap time. It is district policy. Near the beginning of the year - if students need it - we do a quiet time where they can lay down and rest or sleep. I would put on music or a book on tape. It might last 20 or 30 minutes.

I would NEVER leave a child alone in the classroom. You must wake them or find someone to stay with them. You are responsible for the safety of the children.

As far as letting them sleep through activities, I would make a decision on an individual basis. For the most part, no. But I'd make sure the activity after naptime is quiet and allows a gentle transition. If someone is ill or has something going on at home, I'd let them sleep, but not every day. If they were so tired you couldn't wake them, I'd tell the parents and ask if they could possibly adjust bedtime. Parents need to know if a child is too tired to function in school.

7. benemma

benemma Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

We do a rest time. I have had one child sleep, once. I would not leave a child because (well, other than I just wouldn't) I would lose my job.

8. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Sep 12, 2006

We are required to have a 45 minute rest period each day. I teach in a full day kindergarten program. I put on some quiet music(Kenny Loggins usually - Return to Pooh Corner) and the children take 2 books to their cots. I also read a chapter book to them once they are settled(a haoter a day) I don't usually have anyone sleep but if a child does I do wake them up as we have science immediately after rest. Don't ever leave a child unattended. As suggested above either wake him/her or have another teacher or para come into your room.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 12, 2006

Never leave a child alone! We have rest time. We start with a book and follow with an educational video. Lights are dimmed. Each student has a small pillow in their locker that they use during this time. Some students sleep and all students are quiet.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2006

I've been thinking about reading some chapter books to my kids. What kind of chapter books do you read??

In response to your question, at first I thought that nap time is a must. How can my poor kids function?? But, my kids actually do quite well without a nap. Some kids are a bit tired by the time we go home, but as the weeks went on, it got better. So, I have no nap or rest time. I also would never leave a child. What if the child wakes up and no one is there? They might get scared.

11. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Sep 12, 2006

Junie B. Jones, Ready Freddy, Flat Stanley, Mr. Poppers Penguins, Little House on the Prairie.

12. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 13, 2006

Hi, Just curious why you asked this question? Did someone leave your child alone while he/she was sleeping? Yikes.

In my all day K we don't have a nap time. But I would certainly NEVER leave a child unattended in the classroom.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2006

I just thought of a good chapter book, but I can't remember it's name. It was about a girl and a dog and they made a movie of it not too long ago. Hmmmm, something with Dixie???

14. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 13, 2006

Because of Winn Dixie

Is that the name?

15. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Sep 14, 2006

We have rest time for about 30-45 minutes depending when we lay down (we always get up at the same time). I think it's good for the children to at least rest their bodies. I think that some people forget they're still 5 years old!

16. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Sep 14, 2006

I love doing chapter books at rest time, but have discovered that, some years, there are children who need me to be a little more actively involved in guiding their quiet rest. :)
    I discovered that the public library has a fantastic selection of audio books that the children LOVE for nap time. We listen to "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory", "A Cricket in Times Square", "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle", and other favorites.
    We usually do a chapter a day, but the kids will beg for "one more chapter!"

17. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 14, 2006

I totally agree with you! I feel like more and more people are frowning on the fact that kindergarten classes allow rest time. I think it's really important for my kids to just have some down time, even if they aren't napping.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2006

Yup, I totally agree too. I get so sad when I hear of schools doing away with it because they don't have time to fit everything in. I allow 30-35 minutes of quiet rest time daily. I will not sacrifice this for academics.....there needs to be a healthy balance. I have no problem fitting everything in required of me and still find ample time for a well needed rest for my little beaners.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2006

Ahh, that's it. Thanks.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2006

That's a wonderful idea! I never thought of that. I love this site!!!!:D