Questions About Low 3rd Grader Who Can't Recognize Letters and Sounds

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bballjoe12, Sep 26, 2014.

1. bballjoe12

bballjoe12 Companion

Sep 26, 2014

I just got a 3rd grade student who is very low cognitively. She only recognizes 60% of the alphabet and knows only 40% of her sounds. She forgets information very quickly. Can I teach letters, sounds along with sight words? I need to start her with the pre-primer list. Would Edmark Level 1 be appropriate for her to learn sight words?

I've never had a 3rd grader this low so any help is appreciated!

3. keylime3.14

keylime3.14 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014

She clearly needs to learn her letters and sounds, so I say go for it until someone tells you otherwise. I can't speak for the curriculum though, as I am unfamiliar with it.

4. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Sep 29, 2014

I would start with the picture discrimination test in the Edmark 1 program to see if she can differentiate between characters. If she's able to pass the test, I would start her with Edmark 1. Make sure to reinforce letter sounds with her though until she has them mastered. I have a student who was homeschooled using both Edmark programs. He knows over 200 sight words but cannot identify letter sounds. He is now restricted when he reads because he cannot decode words that were not part of the program though so that's a challenge. I also have another student who knows 85% of her letter sounds and we've started her on Edmark 1 as well.

5. Teachwrite!

Teachwrite! Rookie

Oct 4, 2014

Using the sign language alphabet and words along with the written and verbal work would be my only advice. Is she able to communicate verbally?

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 5, 2014

She sounds like a former student of mine, except for my student was inconsistent with her knowledge. At least my student has an IEP, just not for CI, which is what she needs.

I would be working on letter sounds and sounding out words. I don't know the Edmark system.