Questions about GPA...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scienceteach82, Apr 3, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 3, 2009

I should know this...but have a question...

My undergrad GPA is low...and I am working on my MAT w/certification through Western Governor's University right now. They didn't have a GPA requirement...it's performance based.
    In order to get temp. certified...gpa needs to be a certain level. Is there anyway I can raise it from undergrad? By taking post bacc classes? I had to take 2 last summer to get into the MAT program. Would this help me at all?
    I really want to get certified ASAP. It will be next December before I complete my program I am currently in.
    Anyone know?
    Reason my gpa was so low...my brother tried to kill himself many times and was in and out of mental hospitals. My dad lost his job, and I was living with them...and had to work. All this was documented for my student loan money from the school.
    I hate being in this bind.
    Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2009

I have no clue, so ignore what I say :), but it just doesn't seem like taking "bachelor level" courses will help your undergraduate GPA. It seems to me that it would be a closed chapter. But again, I have no clue. I'll be interested what other people have to say.

Good luck.

4. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Apr 3, 2009

Check with the school that conferred you and read the handbook. Some institutions allow you to erase ONE semester worth of classes from your transcript, some allow you not to use a semester or two for GPA computing purposes. But, since you already have a degree, you/they may not allow it. So, have you thought about retaking your last 60 hours of courses you took to get your degree? Have you thought about getting your masters in a subject area that you want to teach...Either one of these can raise your GPA.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 3, 2009

I'm getting my master of arts in science education...my degree is in biology

6. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 3, 2009

How many points do you need to raise the GPA by and how many undergraduate credit hours do you have?

By the time you get your BS, you generally have so many credit hours that a 3 hour A will only raise your GPA by about 0.025 points. If you had a 3.00 with 120 credit hours, an A in a 3 hour summer class would only bump you to a 3.025. The more credit hours you have or get, the less each additional class changes your GPA.

The approach that Cranmans noted would move the GPA a lot more.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2009

Talk to the university that granted the degree, but I don't see how taking more bachelors classes will help you, as usually once you graduate your gpa is done. At the college that I graduated from (and worked in academic advisement) even if you went back to the school after you had graduated for a second bachelor's degree the new degree would have a new gpa and the old degree would be exactly the same. I would think at this point that it will hard to get your gpa changed, but check with your college just to be sure, you may be able to apply for some sort of academic forgiveness. I know that when people are academically disqualified and then come back at the college I was at they were able to get their previous gpa erased if they met certain conditions.

8. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Apr 4, 2009

Have you checked with the state to see if they will accept your graduate GPA instead of your undergrad? When I applied for grad school, they accepted my 3.00 in my previous grad school experience instead of my low GPA undergrad. I know that the state credentialing authority might not do that, but have you asked them?

Another way to get around this is to apply in another state (that will accept your GPA) and see if your state will accept a teaching certificate from another state to by-pass that requirement.