Questions about GATE program and being qualified to teach high school AP/Honors

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Jul 31, 2013.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 31, 2013

So from my understanding GATE only exists in elementary and middle school whereas high school's equivalent is the honors or AP. For GATE, do you simply sign up for training when your district offers the training? For high school, is there something that one can do to have a better odds of teaching honors/AP? I know a secondary credential technically allows you to teach up to AP level material, but I'm assuming administrators still would rather have something that sets you apart. Obviously a masters in the corresponding subject would help, but aside from that is there like an equivalent to GATE that would up your chances of being hired for an AP/Honors course?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 31, 2013

Where I teach, gifted certification is an add-on. We do have gifted classes in high school. To teach those you need gifted certification, which requires a Masters degree, six graduate courses in gifted, and an internship. Honors and AP are different. You have to go to AP trainings in the summer to teach AP classes. To teach honors, it is preferred that you have a Masters in the content area. I know it's different in each state for gifted certification, and in each district for how the program is structured.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

I had to have classes to teach AP at both the high school and middle school level. (Middle school is called pre-AP.)

I didn't have to do anything any differently to teach honors classes. I do have a MA in the area I was teaching, but everyone here has to have a MA or equivalent.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2013

GATE in California is a program endemic to California and, probably, an endorsement (I don't do credentialing, and I'm grateful not to). I suspect it does still actually exist for high school but that one tends not to bother, though I could see some of the training - if done well - being extremely useful in dealing both with the high achievers and with the true GATE kids.

AP is its own thing, and I believe the College Board at least strongly discourages people from teaching AP without having taking AP training through said College Board.

In a properly run school, it should be possible for a kid to tackle AP coursework without having been designated GATE, though perhaps it ought not to be entirely easy (this is to weed out the kids whose parents are more invested in them taking AP tests than they themselves are). Similarly, it ought to be possible to be designated GATE without ever darkening the door of an AP class, though of course it's generally smarter financially to get at least some of those general-ed credits out of the way more cheaply.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2013

TG and bopper are both correct. There is a GATE certification in most states and most schools ignore it completely and just appoint whomever has been there the longest - regardless of qualifications.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 1, 2013

I teach AP English even though I'm the least senior. I have never done the training in the summer, though I did do a one day workshop last October. We have no honors English courses besides AP. I was pleased with my scores this year and I enjoy teaching the class.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 1, 2013

I have never found that to be true here. All of the teachers I've encountered either have gifted certification or or in the three year OFAT period and taking courses toward it. After I get my Masters, I plan to add on gifted certification, more to help with my summer job than anything else.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

Honors and AP aren't considered "gifted" courses in my district. Perhaps that is unusual?

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

Yep--that's how it works here in CA! Among the GATE teachers in my district, none have an actual GATE certification. They do, however, have longevity at the site. :rolleyes: