questions about curriculum, district standards, PD

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Jul 7, 2012.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Jul 7, 2012

Hello! I will be a first year teacher very soon and was wondering a few things.

Will I be given a curriculum or just the district standards or none of these?

When will I get those? I am a little nervous because new teacher orientation is only 1.5 weeks before I am scheduled to begin teaching. Would it be inappropriate to contact someone at the school and ask for this information? If not, who should I contact?

Do I have to do PD before I begin my first year? I am working a summer job full-time at the moment, so don't know what my options are.

Any other advice, suggestions, etc. would be great!

Thanks so much!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2012

Yes it's a great idea to call the school and ask for a copy of the curriculum guide. Also ask if there are teachers editions of any series they use that you could pick up for planning.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2012

It really depends on the district. I teach for a large district and all of our curriculum guides and pacing guides are online. Anyone can access them.

There may also be teacher editions of purchased curriculum that you can review. For those you should contact a principal or grade-level team member.

Do you know if your state is using the Common Core State Standards? If so, find out if they have been phased into your new grade level yet. (Our district is rolling them out a few grade levels at a time.) You can read up on the CCSS online.

Do you know if you will be assigned a mentor teacher at your building? That would be a great person to ask. I'd start by calling the school office (if anyone is working there right now - ours is closed for a few more weeks) and asking some of these questions.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

My district has new hire workshops close to the beginning of school. And I agree that you should call the school about the curriculum and stuff.

Congrats on your job! What will you be teaching? We can add you to the jobs list :D

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 7, 2012

Yes, call the school and ask. This is so different between each district. I know my district has all of the pacing guides/curriculum maps online, but I haven't been given a password yet. When I went to meet my grade level team they printed out the first two math and reading units for me. Having the new teacher training close to the school year is typical I think- it makes sense for people who are moving or working a summer job. I am both moving for my new job and working a different summer job right now- so I wold not have been happy had they decided to put the training in the middle of the summer.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

I would definitely contact the principal about getting copies of all curriculum maps, pacing guides, standards (unless they are just using the common core---then look up yourself), curriculum materials, school supply lists.