questions about contracts not being renewed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Jul 7, 2012.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Jul 7, 2012

Hello! I will be a first year teacher very soon. I was wondering how common (percentages perhaps) is it for teachers to not have their contracts renewed? Also, what type of things are contracts not renewed for? Lastly, what type of things can I do to increase the likelihood of this not happening? Thanks so much!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2012

It RARELY happens in my district.

It's hard to know in some cases why contracts aren't renewed...but your best bet is to know and follow your job description, be punctual, dress professionally. Don't engage in gossip. Maintain good parent relations. Know your content and teach it well. Handle paperwork promptly and efficiently. Volunteer for a few 'extras' (helping witha PTA fundraiser, chaperoning a dance, etc)...Keep your eyes open and your mouth closed. Make the secretaries and custodians your allies.. Be positive. :thumb:

4. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 7, 2012

Last year, I was hired at a medium sized, low-income district. I was hired with around 10-12 other people. All of us received contract renewals. I was told that "if your contract is not going to be renewed, you would know about it WAY before the end of the school year". In other words, if you do get a poor evaluation, the administration won't just let you continue to perform poorly. They will help you develop an action plan to remediate areas that you are struggling in. With that being said, none of us "new hires" needed to go through that.

Most administration understands that you're new and there will be a learning curve. So maybe your lesson fell apart while a principal was observing, or maybe you let a student's misbehavior get the best of you, or maybe your lesson went too fast and it was obvious that a student was struggling. Those aren't make or break things. They'll let you know, and you'll work on it. If you don't work on it, or don't even make an effort to work on it...that's where you get in the danger zone. As long as you show up every day prepared to teach to the best of your ability (and with a positive attitude), you should be fine!

5. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jul 7, 2012

This...is my worst fear about going into a public school...

This topic...will have me talking myself out of leaving my non-for profit job for a public school...its been doing it for 2 years..

but I think Im ready now to take the chance!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

Exactly :)

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

Look for what the school needs and offer to do that. Make yourself indispensable to the school and district. Become an expert in something that is new or that they are working on developing.

But never, never let the extras interfere with your classroom, teaching, and parent/staff/student relationships.