Questions about Common Core--how are these standards different?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hollydoris, Aug 6, 2013.

1. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

My school is changing to Common Core standards for reading and math. I am excited because the standards we were going by last year were just terrible. We are private so we don't follow state standards.

However, I have never taught to Common Core standards before. My assumption was that they would just be typical standards, albeit worded better than the ones I was using prior. My department head sent out an email a couple weeks ago saying that we might not need to order textbooks because of the change to common core, so we are supposed to hold off on that. She said ordering the texts might be "wasteful".

I went to the common core website to see why it is that we might not need textbooks and they just seemed like typical standards to me.

Those who teach common core--can you explain my department head's thinking on this? Do you use textbooks? What would we use instead?

I'm concerned because the private school I work for is VERY strict in that ANY material I want to use in the classroom needs to get approved prior to use to make sure there isn't anything in it that could compromise the religious beliefs of the students. (I'm not a typical religious school). For example, I tried to get my classroom library approved and out of 150 or so books, they only allowed about 20. It's very strict. I'm just not sure what they are expecting us to use if it is not textbooks, since they don't allow much through their doors!

Any experience anyone could share is greatly appreciated. :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2013

The math standards are very different in terms is scope and sequence...deeper and narrower. Much of what was in the stds before for any grade level has been moved to other grades or may be gone entirely.
    In ELA, the biggest shift for some is more of a balance between fiction and nonfiction reading and writing. Also, more close reading and finding evidence in text to support thinking.

4. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Aug 6, 2013

In addition to what czacza said, there are a lot of Speaking and Listening standards in the Common Core which our state has sort of had, but I always neglected. These are an integral part of the new standards, and students will need to be taught "accountable talk" - the new buzzword in our area.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

Some of the main differences with common core:
    -Grammar is expected to be integrated into the reading and writing curriculum-not taught in isolation.
    -The writer's workshop is intended to be used more as a time to teach narrative writing. Other types of writing should be integrated throughout the day in other content areas (opinion, explanatory, etc.).
    -Overall, the standards call for reading and writing to be integrated throughout the day in all subject areas. Instead of "skill and drill" and worksheet-based activities, students are expected to learn how to think, develop their own opinions, and analyze author's craft. The standards call for "deeper" thinking.

I would highly recommend reading the following books:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pathways-Comm...7&sr=8-1&keywords=pathways+to+the+common+core

http://www.amazon.com/Common-Core-L...4&sr=8-8&keywords=pathways+to+the+common+core

6. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

Thank you very much everyone! DrivingPigeon I will be looking into those resources.