Questions about Centers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by flowerpower31, Aug 23, 2011.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

In your centers, do your students work on art projects or worksheets or are those things you do with them in small group/one-on-one settings?

I'm just trying to figure out how to make centers work in my room. Should I allow them all to just be free play (with educational stuff) or should I make them more structured?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

I do both... well, except the worksheet stuff. I am anti-worksheet for this age.

I have a "stations" time that is teacher-diected small group activities... some art experiences, math, science, sensory, language, motor, whatever. Then I ALSO have a free choice center time. They are welcome to choose whatever they want during that time.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 23, 2011

We have one art project or blatant learning game going and many free choices. The my EA doesn't call over a group, they just manage to float by, or she will "sell" it when she knows they are between stations. While we are working with a group, the other is posted near a center and "talking it up" using the proper science vocab and "wondering" aloud. Leading an actual discussion, bordering on teacher lead. By having one of us posted there it draws interest not needing us to call.

I am also anti worksheet.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2011

Ditto what they both said. Both small group and independent work. No worksheets.

6. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

I'm not a frequent worksheet user. I guess I just put it as an example of the type of work I was referencing, which was any work that would need to be done with help as opposed to independent.

Thanks for your answers! :)