Questions about Back to School Night

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by LATechTeacher, Aug 26, 2006.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Aug 26, 2006

We are having back to school night on Monday, and I was wondering what kinds of things I need to go over with parents. We've been in school for 2 weeks so they know about our basic rules and regulations. Anything else I should do? Just wondering what other people have done.

3. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 26, 2006

I try to make the night fun but informative- I usually go over several different things:
    1) homework policy and why I assign certain things for HW- I also talk about how long it should take a typical student to complete the HW and to let me know if a child spends too much time to complete it.
    2) report cards and my grading procedures
    3) how I find individualized reading levels for each student - both word recognition and comprehension levels
    4) parent volunteers
    5) service projects
    6) my teaching style
    7) I usually have a notecard or piece of cute paper ready for parents to leave their child a note for the next day- the students don't come to our meeting-only the parents.
    8) I also try to have a powerpoint showing of the first weeks of school with pictures of the kids doing all kinds of stuff.

4. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 27, 2006

We did ours as a grade level but I attached the PowerPoint we presented to the parents on my website. You can check it out at www.kyrene.org/staff/kjensen and click on the Curriculum Night Presentation.

Hope it helps a little.

KJ

5. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 27, 2006

I usually give out a packet of info that details most of what I talk about. It is a list (with details) of the ABC's of Second Grade with each letter representing something about my classroom. The parents take it with them and have something to reference later. In it I have things like:
    homework policy
    curriculum areas
    materials list
    info on importance of reading
    birthday party procedures
    field trip info
    list of "Student of the Week"
    schedule

I usually have a sign up sheet for the parents who wish to volunteer as well as one for the parents to write how the kids get home from school and/or what bus color they ride.

I haven't done this but you could have the students write down info about themselves (favorite food, color, book, etc.) and have the parents try to guess which is their child's. (I do something similar in the spring during conference week where the kids have a silhoutte on the wall outside andthe parents guess which child is theirs based on the picture and the clues) OR have the students draw a picture of their family and the parents have to find their child's picture.

I talk about curriculum and try to show them some of the books and resources they will be using. I talk about school procedures and the discipline plan. I talk about volunteering both inside and outside of the classroom. I leave enough time if parents want to ask questions. That will help to use up time if you are out of things to say as well as remind you of things you might have forgotten to mention. Our principal usually walks around to the classrooms and helps with answering parent questions.

6. tracylee

tracylee Rookie

Aug 27, 2006

to go along with the guessing game for parents, I do "apple Glyphs" where students construct an apple based on personal criteria. I got the idea from a fellow teacher but I am sure you could look it up. Scavenger hunts are cool too, and I give a copy of the year's curriculum and First Grade requirements, so there are no surprises and parents are well informed of what to expect in the year.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2006

If your parents already know about procedures, I'd focus on the curriculum. We do a curriculum night where we explain what will be taught that year and give parents ideas for how they can help their child at home. We actually give the parents packets of materials to use at home. (I teach K so it has been things like letter cards, sight word puzzles, number cards and number cubes with directions for various games to play...)

8. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Aug 27, 2006

Great help thanks! I will really use some of these ideas.