Questions about an email to a principal...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Oregon Teacher, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2013

I am wondering if this would be an appropriate email to send to a principal about a recent job posting, what do you think? Would it be better to leave the first paragraph and references to our meeting out of the email? Thank you very much for your input!

Dear Principal,

I enjoyed meeting with you a couple of weeks ago with my son to discuss his transition from ABC School to attending your XYZ School next year. After meeting with you and touring the school he is very excited about the upcoming year.

I am writing to express my interest in the 123 Teacher position at your school that was posted on the district web site. After meeting you and touring the school, I would love the opportunity to teach at your school. I have applied for the position online, but I wanted to take the opportunity to express my interest in teaching at your school directly to you. I have attached my cover letter, resume, and three letters of recommendation.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

I'm not against mentioning meeting with her, but I think you should leave the bit about your son out. Others may disagree.

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 10, 2013

I think I agree. Make this letter solely about the job. What about touring the school made you feel this would be a good place? (One liner since im assuming its also discussed in your cover letter?) Good luck!

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 10, 2013

I'm no expert or course but I too agree to possibly just make it about the job and leave out the first paragraph.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  6. GermanTeacher89

GermanTeacher89 Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

I partly agree with previous posts. I don't think it would hurt to include a sentence about your son - so she can put a face to the name in the letter. If you just send a letter about the job, she might not recognize your name and look over the application. But if she sees that she already met you, she will remember whether or not she liked your personality and might decide to interview you. I don't think you need the whole paragraph, though. Maybe just say after touring the school with your son, you saw how great of a district it was and you'd like to be a part of it. Just mentioning it so she remembers you I think would help.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  7. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

I agree with previous posters. I think one line just to remind her is okay, but not a whole paragraph. Also it is a bit repetitive as is ("After meeting with you and touring the school" starts a sentence in each paragraph).

So like GermanTeacher89 said, you can say after touring the school with your son... then go into your reason you think the school would be a good fit. But make the focus YOU, not your son.

8. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

Thank you so much for all of the input. Do you think this would be a better letter?

Dear Mr. Principal,

I am writing to express my interest in the 123 Teacher position at your school that was posted on the district web site. After meeting you and touring the school with my son, I would love the opportunity to teach at your school. I am impressed with the focus you place on professional learning communities to best meet the academic and social needs of your students. I have applied for the position online, but I wanted to take the opportunity to express my interest in teaching at your school directly to you. I have attached a document containing my cover letter as well as a pdf file with my resume and three letters of recommendation.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

9. GermanTeacher89

GermanTeacher89 Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

That looks great! Good luck!

10. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

Sounds much better! Best of luck!