Question

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by smalltowngal, Jul 27, 2009.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

I was just hired as an aide for my dream middle school. The P said that I needed to attend 2 days of New Hire Orientation and 3 days of summer conference before actually starting the staff development at the school. How many aides actually go through all this stuff before starting at the school? The P knows I'm looking for a teaching position.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 27, 2009

Stg-first, many congrats on the job. I know it was a tough decision, but you're sure to be happy with your choice.

Next, my school, as you know, is a lot different, but our aides attend everything we do. If we train in some new method, so do they. It's nice, because everyone uses the same language and methods.

:)

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

Thanks kc. And I just went back to the district website and it said "New Employee Orientation" so I'm guessing it's EVERYONE who has been hired this year.

5. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I would like to extend my congratulations, also! Good for you! The time I worked for a para, they thew me in and I didn't have the orientation until three months later. As I had 4 yrs. tching experience and had never had an aide, I really did not know what was expected of me. My boss, would tell me what to do and sometimes it was unclear and then she'd walk off. So, I'd ask the tchr what she wanted me to do.

I hope you enjoy it and get hired doing what you really want to do eventually.

Best of luck to you.

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

Our aides go through orientation that is assigned several months after they are hired.

7. Piggy

Piggy Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

Every year was different for us.

Some years, we attended the same number of workshops before the start of school, other years, we didn't.

Most of the workshops were common sense if you have worked in the educate field for any number of years.

8. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

Last year, we had practically the whole week before school started to get the IEPs prepared and passed out to the teachers. They want the stuff done before the first day of school, but they never have everything we need done (student schedules, teacher rosters) in time for us to do that. I think we had gotten everything done the second day of school.

This year, my district is doing something different. They actually have the paras doing their own training stuff. Here's what our para schedule looks like this week:

Fri (8-14): Workday
    Mon: (morning...entire district) Convocation, guest speaker, (afternoon) campus meeting
    Tues: All SPED paras to prepare IEPs
    Wed: Para meetings
    Thurs: Para meetings
    Fri: County Co-op meeting (all SPED personnel), workday in the afternoon

Now....they STILL want the IEPs done before the first day, and I was told they wouldn't have the rosters available till Wednesday afternoon. Looking at that schedule, are we going to have time to get it all done?? NO!!!! We're probably going to have to finish it the second or third day of school.

They never give us near enough time. You'd think that with students getting their schedules this week that they'd have the rosters and schedules ready for us.....but they don't. They always claim that students are going to get their schedules changed, but we should at least be able to get the teachers the paperwork they need!

9. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 20, 2009

The paras do the IEP's. I thought the teachers did that. I have an interview for a para job tomorrow and just looking for more info.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 20, 2009

In my school anyone working with the students need to know about and help to implement IEPs. Teacher Aides usually take data on the IEP goals as well as the teachers.

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 4, 2009

I am guessing that in this case the paras pass out the IEPs to the SPED teachers. Paras take data, but they do not write IEPs.