QUESTION

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Grammy Teacher, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2007

I am curious how Montessori does their student evaluations of Preschool kids. I am under the assumption that it is very different from traditional Preschool evals. What type of info is shared with the parents at conference time? I hope someone can tell me. I find that Montessori questions in the past don't get answered for some reason. Thanks.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2007

See, as usual, no comments from Montessori! Hello out there!

4. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jan 3, 2007

Grammy Teacher, At my school we have 2 progress reports (September/January) and 2 parent conferences (October/March). For the conferences, we have a list for each area of the classroom. Practical Life, Language, Sensorial, Math, Cultural. Each section has a list of the works that are available for the area. If a child is Beginning the work, I put a "B". If he is Developing with the work then I will put a "D". If a child is Secure then I mark it with an "S". The marks that I put down are based on my observation notes that I keep on each child. I also write a narrative report in addition to the list that details certain areas too. What I write depends on the child. If you want, I can send you a copy of the report that I use.

The progress reports are not as detailed, but is a short narrative on how the child is progressing in the classroom.

Sometimes I think that it is just too much information. The kids are only 3-6 years old!

I hope that I helped. I have been trying to keep this forum active. Thanks for coming over!

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2007

Thanks Pattypoo...I'm glad you came through. I am never satisfied with the report I use for the kids...too many little things that don't matter. I would love to see the one you use. Thanks again for keeping the Montessori threads alive. It's nice to see different slants.

6. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

Evaluations

Hi Grammy,

I am a Montessori Directress, and have been for 10 years.Our evaluations are very different. At my school, we have 2 conferences and 3 progress reports. Our progress sheets follow our general record keeping. We have a sheet for each section of the classroom with 3 categories.
    1. Given lesson
    2. Working with material
    3. Mastered

We then do a general summary for each area....so it is more clear to parents that are not familiar with the materials.

We then write a narrative, which talks about the childs overall development. Its pretty extensive.

For our conferences......we give a more general overall picture of the child.

Please le me know if you have more questions.

H