Question - Which elementary grade do you prefer to teach?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by abby1966, Mar 10, 2007.

1. abby1966

abby1966 Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

Hi, I'm a first year teacher. Yes, I was a career changer. I teach 5th grade and I have enjoyed teaching 5th grade but had thought about possibly teaching a lower elementary grade next year - just to which I liked the best. I was thinking maybe trying 3rd grade, anybody have any thoughts or suggestions about teaching 3rd grade?

3. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Mar 10, 2007

I have taught 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. THIRD GRADE IS THE BEST!!!!! I absolutely love this age of students. I have taught it for three years. They're so impressionable and still love their teacher, and love to learn new material. Good luck.

4. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Mar 10, 2007

I've taught first, second, and third and I've loved all three. However, I do love the fact that 2nds and 3rds are more independent than the 1sts. Except for the emphasis on standardized testing, I think I've liked 3rd the best. They do still like to learn and we're able to do so much more with them.

5. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Mar 10, 2007

I have taught K, 2nd, and 3rd. I enjoyed all three, but second grade has always been my favorite.

6. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Mar 10, 2007

3rd is a really gr8 grade! They still want to please you, they are respectful and more independent. ( I student taught for this grade.) But, the school I got a job at only had 1st open so I took that!

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 10, 2007

I loved 5th grade when I student taught. I loathed first grade when I student taught. I then went on to teach early ed. (4 year to Kg.) and loved it. I now teach a K, 1 and 2 combined class and I enjoy K and 1 but I love 2nd grade the best. I think I would love Kg. if it was a straight kg. class. Knowing me, I would probably love 3rd and 4th grade if I taught them... Sorry, I guess I did not help :)

8. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Mar 10, 2007

Third is my favorite. :)

9. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Mar 10, 2007

4th

10. scheina2

scheina2 Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

I like 2nd, and am possibly considering a move to 3rd.

I like 2nd because they are more independant than k and 1st, and are starting to really develop their skills in reading, writing, and math.

I like 3rd because they are more independant readers. At this age you can begin doing literature circles (although you can do these in 2nd with advanced readers) and you move further away from guided reading.

I don't think I would like to teach any grade lower than 2nd, or higher than 3rd. I guess everyone has their preference. :)

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2007

I NEVER wanted to teach kinder. I always wanted to do 3-5 grades. I student taught 5th and did a lot of subbing in 3-8 grades so I enjoyed the upper grades. Then, I was hired to teach kinder. I've taught it for 2 years and I LOVE IT!!! It's very rough in the beginning, but once you get to this time of the year, they know exactly how to run the class (if you stick to the routine and are consistent). I may not be able to teach kinder next year (and I have no clue what grade I will get as I'm probationary and will find out after tenured teachers have picked), but I know that I will LOVE any grade I get. All grades have their pros and cons. I just enjoy working with kids, period.

12. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 10, 2007

I teach 4th now, but did my student teaching in 3rd and 4th. I love 4th, but if I wasn't teaching 4th, 3rd would be almost as good! Those two grades are my absolute favorite.

13. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Mar 11, 2007

Funny you should ask me, because my principal just did as well. I'll tell you what I told her: I want to stay in 3rd grade!

14. KinderCali

KinderCali Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

Kinder!

Peachyness,

You have a great attitude. If you think you will "love" any grade you get, then you probably will.

I would say Kinder is my favorite, but right now I am teaching a K/1 split and find it a bit challenging. I would say my preference would be a single grade classroom! In CA, we are very standards based, which I like, but I am finding there is quite a gulf between K and 1, and am finding it hard to create combined lessons.

KinderCali

15. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

i love third grade...this is my first year and the only complaint that i have is that the kids are always testing!! (between 4-sight, SRI, math district, DRA and now CMT) I taught 6th and would never go back that high again!

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 11, 2007

I think second grade is my favorite... I'm currently in first. I love it but it's super challenging. I'm hoping that I might be able to loop in a couple years.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2007

Thank you. It actually took me a while to come to terms that I may not be in kinder. I was heart broken when I found out that they may have to collapse not one, but TWO kinder classes. I knew my chances were even more slim of staying in my grade. One thing that keeps me positive is that if they move me to upper grade and for whatever reason I don't enjoy it, then when I'm tenured, then I can always do interdistrict transfer. I'm just so grateful to have a job. I know so many teachers who have been subbing for years, waiting to get a job.