Question to Miss Frizzle

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by gr8_life, Nov 4, 2006.

1. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 4, 2006

M. F. - You mentioned in another thread to apply for positions every month. Considering most of the hiring is done in the spring/ summer, what is your reasoning so I can learn? Were you addressing non traditional tracks or the possibility of a mid year opening or ???

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

From what I hear, the more often you send out resumes you are increasing your chances of getting noticed. Even if there are not any openings at the time, a recent resume is always on hand and will be on file, should an opening become available.

I suggested not waiting until the typical application time only to get a head start on things. In this area, there are hundreds of thousands of applications for one position. Which means my resume might not even get looked at. I've been told that the more you send resumes the better chance you have of getting pushed to the top of the pile. Who knows?

It's time for guerrilla job search tactics at this point. I graduated undergrad in 94, I am not moving. At this point in my life, I have to do whatever it takes to land a full time position.

4. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 4, 2006

Ah, Miss Frizzle, that makes sense. Now please tell me you haven't really been looking for a job for over 10 years have you??????????:eek:

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

I have been seeking full time for that long, although probably not as diligently as I should for a few years right after college. I have plenty of opportunities to sub, and /or be a para, but I have a home to pay a mortgage on.

I settled for a job ( full time ) a while ago in an awful school far from home. I ended up needing to take time off to re evaluate my goals. Turns out it's not teaching I hate, but rather the district I was in. Since then, I have been out of the classroom, but in the field of disabilities. Last year, I went at it again after a 5 year hiatus. Thought I was close, but no such luck.

6. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 5, 2006

Ah, got it. I hear you on subbing or a para position. It's feels like auditioning for a part....

When you have an application on file in a district, do you send out the resumes to principals WITH or WITHOUT the references? I assume w/OUT. The assumption is that if they're interested they'll go to the D.O. and look at your application or just ask you to bring the letters in.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

I don't send my references along with my resume. Maybe that's my mistake. Don't know, but I've always put them on the actual application.

Most applications are on line today and some districts don't want paper resumes. However, if the district does not specifically state,
    NO paper resumes accepted, I've always applied online and sent a hard copy.