Question regarding timing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Clay Morgan, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Apr 10, 2016

A few weeks ago I attended a job fair and while there had a lengthy conversation with a high school principal. I'm looking to teach English and would love to teach world lit, and I was a journalist for over 20 years, so you can imagine the excitement both of us seemed to have when she said her journalism teacher doesn't want to teach the class next year and she can't find anyone to teach world lit.

We talked for probably 45 minutes at job fair. It was a great conversation and when I left her booth, she said, "Don't freak out if you don't hear from me until June or July."

Ummmm.....

For high school, is that a normal timeline? I've applied for a couple of high school positions in that district (and others) and am told they've not started interviews yet.

Not good for my nerves. Is this common in high school?

3. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

Apr 10, 2016

I'm not an expert, but when I was looking last year some of the high school districts (including my top choice) didn't start calling applicants for first interviews until late June. There seems to have been a push in some districts to get things done sooner so they can fill their positions, but not everyone has jumped on that bandwagon from what I have seen. I talked to a few HR staff members at a recruitment faire yesterday, and one district had nearly all of their hiring done already, while another hadn't even determined their vacancies yet. It seems to depend entirely on the district policies and admin.

4. Nab

Nab Companion

Apr 11, 2016

I went to a job fair last week. I'm getting my certification in Secondary English, and I interviewed with several major school district in my state. Every school district I spoke with - even ones that seemed really interested - all said the same thing: "We plan to start interviewing and hiring sometime between late May to mid June.Put your resume on our district site." They usually know they will have openings by late April-early May, interview in late May-mid June, and hire formally in late June - mid July. The First Year's Teacher In service is usually held in late July.This is a totally normal time line.

Mostly for two reasons: Middle and high schools tend to shuffle their teachers a lot. You could teach English I one year and English IV the next. Or you might teach them both, during the same year. (I actually spoke with a teacher at the school I'm interning at. She started teaching last January and is double certified in History and English. Last January she taught Sociology I - and had mostly sophomores and juniors and European History with seniors. This year, she is teaching three English I classes and three American History classes - freshmen and sophomores.) Plus, a lot of teachers tend to not tell principals they are leaving until the last minute - around late April or early May. Yesterday, I actually overheard a teacher telling the principal that she isn't coming back in August; apparently she is retiring early. Another teacher confessed to me that she has applied to teach at a private school in the area, and won't know until late May. So, she probably won't tell the principal until early June.

I rambled, but - yes, this seems to be the time line. I've already applied to four school districts and a handful of private schools in the area. And, as my mentor teacher reminded me today, I probably won't hear a darn thing until June. :(o_O:rolleyes:

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2016

Don't freak out, but don't sit around waiting either. Keep your name in front of that administrator. Send her a thank you email if you havent done so yet. Keep sending your resume package out to other districts, go on other interviews. Nothing is certain until you sign a contract. Good luck to you.

6. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Apr 12, 2016

Just interesting. I ran into a middle school principal here whom I happen to know. I asked about interviews and she told me not all schools have had their budgets approved and they can't post positions until this happens. At least around here, sounds like more to come.

7. Nab

Nab Companion

Apr 12, 2016

I know here that the private schools are starting interviews.

8. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 13, 2016

All the (failed) interviews I got last year were in mid to late July...yeah, they wait that long.

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

Apr 13, 2016

I have been to two job fairs last week and it seems like secretly that everyone was looking for the hard to find bilingual certification. I was in line behind this girl who had this certification at this District's booth, and the HR rep was so excited, that she called the rest of her people to the table and they were going crazy! The second job fair I went to was for a single District, that had actual principals there, but nobody was looking for ELAR which was me. I talked to other ELAR potential teachers there too and they wern't getting interviews either. I thought my SPED cert would give me an edge, but not really. I am going to another job fair this Saturday, which says Principals will be there doing interviews, so hopefully this one goes better than the last two and they need ELAR/SPED teachers!