Question Regarding The Job Fairs

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Suburban Gal, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 1, 2009

I know a couple of gals from Huntington who attended a job fair recently and when I asked them how successful it was or if they landed something, they didn't sound all too enthusiastic about it. One of the gals told me it was a bust, quite literally. In fact, I even think she regretted going to begin with. When I told her about another upcoming job fair and how she should pre-register for it like I did, her response was simple: "I don't know." Guess her thought is if one job fair was a bust, any other one she goes to will be a bust too.

With the economy being in the tubes, many people are holding on to their jobs as tight as possible because they know if they just up and leave it'll be a lot harder to find something else. Or worse yet, they may not get rehired. Given that, should we really expect the jobs to be there at the job fairs we attend???

I'll be honest with you all, the jobs really seemed to be dried up right now. I was told at Huntington to go to district so-and-so because they needed people (a parent told our center director that), but whenever I check their employment page there's NOTHING there! (Quite literally, except a notice saying they're hiring bus drivers.) And what little was there I had already applied to only to hear notta back from the district. So in my opinion, they can't need people as badly as I heard they did. Otherwise, they'd have called me in for an interview -- right???

I'm worried when I get a list of positions that are currently open at the job fair it'll be a VERY small list and thus perhaps worth nobody's time and effort.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2009

I'm afraid you are probably right, SG. Not many jobs right now...

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

I can't believe that staying home will be less productive than going.

If a school bothers to send a representative to a job fair, it's because they believe that at some point they may have some jobs and want to choose from some applicants. There may not be any jobs today, but they must suspect that there will be one or two next week or next month-- otherwise why pay someone to be there??

Staying home accomplishes nothing. Going may just open a door a tiny bit. Even if a district has only one job open-- SOMEONE is getting that job-- why not you? But if you don't apply, it will go to someone else.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 1, 2009

I have been to a few job fairs. Get there EARLY. If you are one of the first ones in you get the interviewers fresh. By the middle of they day they seem worn out. I don't know if they do things the same way at all fairs but if you got there early you got an interview "slot". Once all the slots were gone then you were out of luck. There are a LOT of people there and you might feel lost in the crowd but I do agree it is better than not going at all. People also talk amongst themselves when they are waiting around. I found out a lot of information (not all good) about some districts.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

Getting your face and portfolio package out there, networking are NEVER a waste of time...Dress professionally, great shoes, hair and make up done but subtle. Smile, know something about the districts that are at the fair. Ask questions pertinent to the districts you are talking to. Make yourself stand out- creative portfolio, a memorable conversation, a great smile and enthusiasm.

7. Suburban Gal

Feb 1, 2009

Guess you have good oints there Aliceacc.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 1, 2009

Suburban,
    All job fairs are different. The ones held by individual districts can be very rewarding. I can't comment on the larger multi-district fairs, because I've never been a part of one.

I've volunteered for our district's spring job fair for at least 5 of the past 7 years. You need to preregister and are given a time slot. (They do take some walk ins, but you are much better off with a time slot.)

Everyone gets a small group interview. At the end of the group interview, they give you a card to take back to the registration table. Some of them signal us to give the person a "thank you" gift bag, and let them know we will get back to them. Some of the cards signal us to tell the person that, if they would like, we would like for them to move to the upstairs floor for a second round of interviews with principals and assistant principals from specific schools that anticipate openings.

From that interview, most will be interviewed by at least one group of principals that have job openings, and given contact information. They will be contacted later if jobs actually become available, and many, many of these people actually get jobs in our district.

Then there are the few that get the "special" cards. They direct them to the human resources room. There, they will find the opportunity to sign a precommittment letter (which means they have a job!) To get to this point, they've aced 2 group interviews, and had a large percentage of principals with openings say "yes, I'll hire this person!" I always love when these candidates come back to the registration table to get their "thank you" gift bag...because you can see on their face that they are delighted!

I have noticed that in past years, the number of candidates who are given appointments gets smaller and smaller, meaning we have less openings. The first year I volunteered, we had appointments scheduled all day long. By the last year, we only had first interviews scheduled in the morning. And I noticed that if you weren't fully certified and "ready to go" you didn't get those coveted "final interviews." I guess with so many who were fully ready, you can't blame the district for not wanting to interview those who hadn't finished everything yet.

I agree with Alice... if you don't go, you have no chance of getting hired there....

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 1, 2009

Sadly, SG, I think you're right about the bad job market. I'm very unhappy with my school but I plan to stick it out no matter what, just to keep a job.

However, I would definitely go. Get an awesome portfolio going, and make a good impression. You never know what might happen. One of the teachers I work with is forced to leave at the end of this year because her husband is being relocated. There's WILL be openings somewhere.

Are you willing to relocate? That's what a lot of us (myself included) decided to do

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2009

Definitely go. Every job fair is so different and will have a different set up. At the very least you're getting your face out there and creating connections that could possibly get you a job.

11. Suburban Gal

Feb 1, 2009

Gosh, I wish I could at the moment, but am not in a position to do so.

I've put infor jobs as far as as 45 minutes away from me. I don't plan on going any further than that knowing what it was like to drive to and from that one Montessori school 5 days a week.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 1, 2009

True, it might not turn into anything, but what do you have to lose by going? Look your best, do some research ahead of time of the districts that will be there, and maybe it will turn into something. The job market is too tight to just give up before even trying.

13. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

I was coming to post a similar question; I currently live in NY but am hoping to move to NC this summer. There is a job fair at Meredith College in NC on March 5th and I'm wondering if I should go. I would have to buy a plane ticket and rent a car so I'd probably be paying at least $300 to go (and I'm very very very poor right now). There will be a ton of school districts there and as of today, hardly any of them have any positions posted but they must know they are going to have some for the next school year.

Has anyone else gotten a job in a different state through a job fair?

14. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 1, 2009

Jlyn07 I feel the same as you. I am applying to so many districts out of state and I don't have the money to go.

15. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Feb 1, 2009

I am also in this position, and am considering going to the same fair, Jlyn. There are two fairs very close together, a few days apart. I would be driving, so I could stay over those days and attend both fairs. But we are looking at major money here. Are we out-of-staters at a huge disadvantage if we do not go to these fairs?

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

lnm, can you convince anyone else from your area to go with you? If you can split the driving cost, along with hotel costs, I'm guessing it might be well worth it for you.

If not, can you get a list of the districts that are appearing and apply to THEM online?

17. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

What is the other fair? I'm lucky that I have some family that lives in that area so I can stay with them but still it's a lot of money. I've considered driving but it'll be about 11 hours for me and for a two or three day trip that doesn't seem worth it. Plus, I drive a Jeep and they aren't great on gas :)

Also, I do plan on applying with those districts online and sending them paper resumes but fear that without going to the fair I'd be missing the 'in person' contact, ya know?

18. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Feb 1, 2009

Actually there is three of them. One on the 4th, one on the 6th, and one on the 9th.

4th - http://www.meredith.edu/career/students/fairs-tnf.htm
    6th - http://www.ncpublicschools.org/calendar/cal_event?id=1797
    9th - http://www.uncw.edu/stuaff/career/edjobfair.htm

I drive an explorer, so I understand about gas! I'm a few hours closer than you are, though. I'd have to rent a motel room, as I have no family there and have never been there.

I'm not sure of the distances between the different fairs either.

19. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

From looking at a NC map, the three fairs are far apart. The one on the 4th is in downtown Raleigh (according to my aunt anyway); the one of the 6th looks like its quite a bit further south than Raleigh and the one on the 9th is in Wilmington which is right near the coast of NC, way east. But if you plan on driving, all three could be an option for you, just plan on spending a lot on gas, lol. I'm really only interested in a job in the Raleigh/Durham area so I'm only going to go to the one on the 4th if I do go.

Good luck with your search!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

21. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

It would be worth it, if I were in NYC, but I'm in central NY and it would take me almost 5-6 hours to get to NYC. Thanks though!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

Take a look at airfares anyway, just for the heck of it.

Try www.kayak.com

23. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Feb 1, 2009

ok so I think I have it all mapped out. I'll be switching hotels 3 times, and them alone will cost $200. I'm just estimating that i will use 7 tanks of gas. That is another $210. So for approximately $400 I can be exposed to all these schools districts in less than a week. Now my best friend says that she will tag along if I want to keep me company. hmmmm....

24. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

Well, in my case, I'm taking off from work to go to our job fair. (Being that I work in childcare right now). I went to the same fair last year, and some of my districts never showed up. There are close to 200 districts represented, but I have no idea how many I'll get through while waiting in line for interviews. I'd say there were at least 30 people in every line. (I didn't have my certificate at the time of the fair last year, so I didn't bother waiting in the interview lines. I just wanted to get some information).

25. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Feb 6, 2009

This situation just makes me anxious!! I'm in the same situation myself. Except that the district I'm intrested in came to my state first (I'm in MI and the district is in SC). I had an interview/screening with them and then afterwards they invited me to come down to their District fair. I want to go, but I just hoping I'm not wasting $500+ (air ticket, hotel, food, car, etc.). I better come back home with a precontract or something!!! lol

26. Suburban Gal

Feb 6, 2009

I really applaud you folks for going outside of your area or out-of-state even for a job fair, as this si something I just can't do myself. I really hope it leads to something for you ladies. Like you said, it won't be cheap to do it in the first place.

27. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Feb 6, 2009

Thanks Suburban Gal. Wish us all "Good Luck!" lol I've made up my mind that I'm just going to go ahead and go! I mean, it wouldn't be that bad, plus I could use a little vacation....lol Plus, I know the recruiter really liked me and said that they are opening up 2 (yes, two) new schools in the area I'm looking at. So he's sure I'll get something! He's kept in touch with me every week or so since then, so I feel pretty secure about it. I'll update everyone.

P.S. You ladies that's going to out-of-state job fairs too, keep us updated also!!!! Good luck again!

28. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 25, 2009

Someone mentioned that they went to a job fair and was not certified yet. I graduate in May so I'm not certified yet either. Is it a waste for me to travel out of state to these fairs?

29. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2009

I don't think it's a waste. I know of people that have been offered out of state jobs at job fairs that haven't even graduated yet.

30. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Feb 25, 2009

So I am so far behind. I think my dad is actually going to go with me. I am now only going to the last two I mentioned. The same districts will be at the first and last. (That I wanted to talk to, at least)

I am behind. I am so not ready. Guess I know what I will be doing for the next couple days. Resume and portfolio. Ugh.

31. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Feb 25, 2009

I don't think it is a waste. I graduate in May too. I have already applied for my certification, completed my student teaching last Fall, and have passed the certification exam. I am just finishing up a couple of classes so that I can graduate in May. The recruiters I have talked to haven't had a problem since I will have my certificate before July. Go and good luck!

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2009

As long as you will have your certification by the start of school, I say go to these job fairs!