question regarding the coming CSET MATH

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by genjioo, Mar 12, 2006.

1. genjioo

genjioo Rookie

Mar 12, 2006

Hello,

I am going to take the CSET MATH SET I on next Saturday. I just have some simple questions:

1. How many questions in total do we have for the SETI?

2. How much time do we have for SETI, (since I only plan to take SETI for my first time CSET experience)

3.What is the passing score?

Thank you so much.

and good luck to everybody who's going to take it March 18th...:)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 12, 2006

For every subtest of every CSET exam, no matter the subject area, the passing score is 220 on a scale from 100 to 300. Malcolm has posted a link to the CCTC Web site that explains what the passing score requires; the short version is that 220 points is 60% to 2/3 of available points. In other words, the standard is NOT impossibly high.

For every CSET exam, no matter the domain, it is possible to take the subtests all on the same day or to split them up. Whether you take four subtests (that would be for CSET English) or three (most CSET exams) or two or one, you will still have five hours of testing time. There are no scheduled breaks during testing time, but I strongly recommend taking at least one bathroom break (your body and brain will function better if you take a break).

You can find out more information on Subtest I of CSET Math by visiting the CSET Web site, http://www.cset.nesinc.com, clicking on the Test Guides link on the left of the intro screen, then clicking on the Mathematics link. There are two documents for CSET Math Subtest I: one document contains information about the test structure and subject matter, the other contains sample questions that suggest (but do not exhaust) the range of information asked. Both documents are pdfs, and you can download both for free.

Hope this helps.

4. genjioo

genjioo Rookie

Mar 12, 2006

hi, TeacherGroupie

Thank you so much for the help.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2006

30 MC (24 algebra, 6 number theory) 4 CR (3 algebra, 1 number theory)

Yep, you can take the whole five hours. That is enough to make a first pass through the subtest and do all the easy MC questions, make a second pass through and do the rest of the MC questions, actually make an outline of your responses to the CR questions if you like, craft nicely worded responses to the CR questions, and then review everything with an eye for any mistakes you might have made earlier, and not be pressured for time.

If this is the first CSET Math subtest you have taken, don't be shaken by questions that seem at bit more obtuse than what were on the practice test. Just come back to them. What is being asked for, and the approach to solving the problem, should seem clearer the second time around when your subconscious has had a chance to digest them.

Note that there are no separate passing scores for the MC and the CR sections. So if you do well on one, and not so well on the other, they will balance out bit. Weighting is 70/30 MC/CR, so doing well on the MC section will have a bigger impact. Likewise, there are no separate passing scores for the domains tested. For example, you can literally totally blow number theory and still pass if you do well enough on the rest of the test.

6. genjioo

genjioo Rookie

Mar 12, 2006

thanks again for the help.:)

7. D.J. superteach

D.J. superteach New Member

Jan 26, 2009

Malcom,
    Any suggestions for a good math review/test prep source?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2009

Malcolm and innovationguy have both posted a number of resources that can help for self-study, and innovationguy's Web site (which I don't now recall, but it's in his signature on every post he makes) offers help.

In some areas there are review courses; I think National University might have one online, but don't quote me, Orange County Dept. of Education runs something, I know of a review in Imperial Valley through SDSU's Calexico campus, and there are likely to be others.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2009

IMHO the best way to study is to roll your own study guide. Start with the Subtest Description, fill it in with the referenced California Content Standards for mathematics, and then fill in the detail you need from your favorite math references. The best thing I found for Subtest I was Schaum's Precalculus. You will need to fill in from somewhere else for group theory and number theory. I used the books suggested in the CSET documents and other Schaum's publications.

If you want a pre-rolled prep guide, my guess is you won't find better than the one available from the Orange County Department of Education. I haven't used their math resources, but their science resources were right on, if full of boiler plate. You will still need to fill in the detail from other sources.

Jay's (innovationguy's) site is the best thing going on-line. He also offers packages of practice questions for a small fee that have a good rep.

10. readabook

readabook New Member

Feb 13, 2009

which subtest do you need a graphing calculator?

I read that you could bring one, but I forgot which subtest is the one that needs it? I, II, or III or all 3? Thanks.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2009

The only math subtest you can use a calculator on is Subtest 2. And it has to be one of graphing calculators on NES's approved list. You cannot even use a simple non-graphing calculator because it it not on the list.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 13, 2009

It makes a great deal of sense to read over all the materials in the CSET Math test guide: go to http://www.cset.nesinc.com, click on the Test Guides link on the left side of the page, and then scroll down to where the Mathematics test is listed.