Question regarding certified Pre-K in a day care

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teach'ntx, Aug 5, 2010.

1. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

Brief history: I am trying to get a teaching job (internship) in the worst market in recent history, with no teaching experience in over 15 years, as an ACP teacher without student teaching, with the most saturated certification (EC-6).

After sending applying to most districts in my area as well as many charter schools I found an opening for a Pre-K Lead Teacher at a daycare. They school is listed as an accredited private school on the Texas site and they require a certification for K and prefer one for Pre-K.

What kind of salary offer should I expect (thinking positive that I will get the job offer!!!!)? Do they normally pay hourly or salary? Is there much negotiation room? I know I won't get what the public schools are paying, but I have children and a mortage and do need to make a certain minimum amount.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!!

3. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Aug 5, 2010

It's hard to say as things are different from school to school, but when I taught at a private school I was paid a salary which was about 90% of the public schools. I had really great health care though, and I didn't have to deal with as may behavioral issues as you might encounter at a public school. I really enjoyed it. Good luck!

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2010

I work at a daycare in the summer and am paid 1/3 of what I make teaching pre-k during the regular school year. Sorry for the bad news.

5. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

samIam - Thanks for the response. Unfortunately this is not a true private school. That is awesome to get 90% of public school plus great health benefits!!
    scmom - I had a bad feeling that was going to be the response. Maybe I will luck out, but I won't hold by breath!

6. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I think it depends on the private school. Is it more of a daycare or is it a private school where they have like pk-5 or more? If its more of a daycare you wont be making alot. My friends that just graduated are working at daycares as a lead teacher and they make 11-15 a hour. However, my other friend is a pre-k teacher is a private school in Iowa and she makes roughly 20-22k a year with health insurance. It just depends on the school. As you said before, its a tough market so I would take what you can get. Good luck.

7. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Aug 8, 2010

Well I taught for a year and a half at a daycare/learning center at the prekinder level. It was a blast but the pay was horrible. I got paid a little above minimum wage. No benefits and no time off other than some holidays. It was great to gain experience but don't expect to be paid very much unfortunately :( It's not fair I know.

8. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

Well I probably should not have worried about the pay. I thought the interview went well, but I did not receive "The Call" today and had been told that the decision would be made by today.
    The place was amazing and I know I would have really liked it. However, even with their childcare discount, I doubt I would have been able to make enough to pay our household bills. Pre-child it would not have been an issue, but daycare is expensive :)

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

best of luck to you! I know the right position is out there for you!