Question Regarding Administration :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by highyack07, Apr 25, 2015.

1. highyack07

highyack07 Rookie

Apr 25, 2015

Hi everyone! I just recently joined up here so what's up?

Anyways, ever since I got into the edcuation field I always really wanted to go into administration. I want to become an assistant principal, considering that I would be in an administrative position yet I would still be able to interact with and help students.

So I would really like to go for the job but I am not sure if they would take me. The job I am looking at (Middle School Assistant Principal) requires:

• 3-5 years teaching experience
    • Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership preferred
    • Experience managing, coaching, or developing other adults in a school environment
    • Demonstrated success in engaging and empowering parents and families, especially those of low-income students of color

So here are my current credentials:

*3 years experience as a middle school Biology teacher
    *4 years experience as a drill sergeant for the Army National Guard (2 of which was in a leadership position)
    *1 year of substitute teaching experience
    *Doctorate in education
    *2 years as a millitary police officer (if that is relevant)
    *Fluent in spanish

So do you guys think I am qualified with a shot at this position or should I not even waste my time?

Thanks guys!

3. newengltchr

newengltchr Rookie

Apr 25, 2015

I, too, am interested in becoming an assistant principal, principal, etc. You're qualified and it looks like you will have a solid chance.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

Do you have administrative credentials? If not, I wouldn't expect you to have much of a chance.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 25, 2015

Never hurts to put your name in the hat! You could always contact the district and see what they say. My question would be do you have/are you eligible to obtain your admin. license. I think your experience looks good, but if you can't get the license you may be dead in the water. Check on your state education website to see what you would need to do to get certified.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 25, 2015

In Ohio you have to have the required license to be an administrator.

Your resume looks great, but here it wouldn't be enough.

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Apr 25, 2015

Your resume looks great. I don't know much about it, but I'm *pretty sure* that you need to have that administrator credential here in CA to be considered. Regardless, work on getting that NOW, so if this opportunity doesn't work out, you have it for the future. It looks as though you'd be great for a VP or P position, so I say to keep trying no matter what happens.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 25, 2015

Despite your education, you won't get your foot in the door without a CA Administrative Services Credential.

Additionally, in my district, one must have at least 5 years of full-time classroom experience before tossing their hat in the ring.

9. highyack07

highyack07 Rookie

Apr 25, 2015

The school I am applying to is out of state and I am eligible for the credential in that state I believe. However it is a charter school so it said they didn't require the admin credential. I'm not sure why they don't but it isn't necessary at this school.

10. highyack07

highyack07 Rookie

Apr 25, 2015

There was also a job at a charter school in CA I was looking into that only required 3 years and didn't require an admin credential. I believe the credential is 5 years full time in CA unless with a waiver and 3 years full time in the state I'm interested in

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 25, 2015

Why do you want to be an administrator? What's your motivation?

12. highyack07

highyack07 Rookie

Apr 25, 2015

I just want to do more to help students and also kind of like the whole prestige of the job a bit I guess. I'm not entirely sure why it's just something I've always wanted to do/

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 27, 2015

I think most importantly, you need to be able to articulate why you should be a school instructional leader. What's your vision for a school? What would you do differently? How would you lead teachers so that they could make the greatest impact on the kids. I don't care how much experience someone has, if they can't tell me what they want to do in the position other than to say, "Well, I want to be in charge" or some such, then that's a red flag to me. (I'm not saying that's what you're doing... I'm just saying that's a common issue.)

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2015

I also think that varied experience is important before going the admin route. In my opinion, an effective administrator needs to know what things are like for teachers in a variety of roles and grade levels.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 27, 2015

To be perfectly honest, the "prestige" of the job is the very last thing on my list of reasons why I enjoy being an administrator.

I would highly recommend shadowing an administrator for a day. You'll soon see that it's not nearly as prestigious as one may think (especially on days when a custodian is out sick and I'm cleaning up vomit or on days when I'm restraining and/or chasing after out of control students).

I am an instructional leader. I roll up my sleeves and dig deep to assist teachers, students, & parents with problem solving/finding answers. I organize testing to ascertain that everything runs smoothly (calendars are made, testing tubs are organized, students are entered in the system, labels are printed, etc). I meet with parents for excessive absences/tardies, I counsel students (heck, I counsel teachers, too). I supervise recesses and lunches (while picking up trash if I see it--gotta lead by example). I check in with teachers when I see them to ask if there's anything I can help them with. I evaluate all support staff (anyone who's not a teacher). There are many other things I do throughout the day that I can't think of right now.

Anyway, just make sure you're getting into school leadership for the right reasons.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2015

In addition to the list of some of the things that you do (love it!!), our administrators have often been seen out shoveling snow and pushing out cars when there's been a big snowfall during the day. They coach, organize special events, and need to be the "face of the school" in both positive and negative situations. They track down the kids who aren't where they are supposed to be, even if that means a home visit in the middle of the day. They attend countless meetings off-site which put them behind what's going on here.

It's a challenging job to do, and an even more challenging one to do well.

17. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Rookie

Apr 27, 2015

You may have enough on you resume to be considered qualified, however, you would really need to play up your existing leadership experience and explain your role...who you oversaw and how you led them, etc.

I'm in agreement with YoungTeacherGuy. I was an administrator for seven years. It is not always prestigious and it is a pretty high stress job. You wear many, many hats and shadowing a current principal would be a very good idea.

18. highyack07

highyack07 Rookie

Apr 27, 2015

I mean every job has its good and bad moments correct? I've seen some pretty bad things in the jobs I've held over the years. I am aware that all jobs aren't 100% glorious all the time and I understand that having to put up with all the crap you guys do, it's pretty stressful. I don't mean to sound cocky or anything, but I think I can manage. Thanks for the insight btw!

19. Newb

Newb Rookie

Apr 27, 2015

Apply.

The worst that can happen is they say "no."

Personally, I'd like to see more classroom experience if I was doing the hiring, but a lot of committees don't care too much. The military experience and doctorate are impressive.

20. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 27, 2015

:agreed:

I'd be very skeptical of someone who just wanted to the job for the prestige, to be in charge, or to receive more money. Not that they wouldn't do a good job, but I'd need to hear more specifics about what they'd do and their reasons for doing so before I'd be interested in having them as an admin.