Question re: Master's Degree

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by bdteach, Nov 12, 2006.

1. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Nov 12, 2006

Hi Everyone,
    I'm finishing up my last course for my credential this month through National University and slated to start my Master's courses next month. The thing that's making me nervous is that when I look at the regular Master's program through National (not associated with the credential) there are four different degrees and none of them require the same courses I'm taking.

My question is, is there a "right" master's and a "wrong" master's, or does any master's satisfy various school districts requirement for a pay bump? Do school districts prefer teachers wait until they've taught a year or two before acquiring the master's?

Any info would be helpful. The degree I'm receiving is the Master of Education Crosscultural Teaching, and my advisor originally recommended it, but now I'm wondering if it's the right thing to do based on the fact that the other Master programs aren't the same.

Best,
    bdteach

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 12, 2006

I can't help you directly (I'm not there myself). I can suggest you go to the Board of Education in your area and ask THEM what is required for the district/state. Colleges are good sources of information and they do have to keep a reputation of being hirable but sometimes they are biased (and try to oversell a program). As far as the rest of the stuff goes, hopefully someone can come along with better and more specific information.

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 14, 2006

In Washington state at least, any Masters will allow you to bump on the pay scale. I don't know if it matters whether you have a Masters or not, you can still get hired. I was hired w/o one and got it a few years later. I think a Masters is just like a Bachelors...you have an emphasis on a certain area. Check it out with your college/university and see what they have to say. Also, you could check out the teacher requirements for your state and find out what it says. We have the Washington Education Association website which tells everything you would need and more. Good luck to you.