Question: Passes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by marcus903, Apr 24, 2011.

1. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 24, 2011

What are your pass policies in your classes? Do you let your students leave the classroom to go anywhere during class time?

In my high school, teachers have their own rule of giving out passes. Some require an agenda. I will explain them all.

Hour 1: Gives students passes with a hall pass slip. Does not require an agenda. Also lets students go to breakfast.

Hour 2: Gives students passes depending on the lesson. Does not require an agenda.

Hour 3: Let's students leave the classroom based on what time it is and if they have their agenda.

Hour 4: Does not give out passes unless it's a diet emergency.

Hour 5: LUNCH

Hour 6: Students need an agenda to leave the classroom in this class. Teacher does not let students go to the bathroom, water, locker, etc.

Hour 7: Does not give out passes. Period.

Hour 8(MAIN INSTRUCTOR): Gives out passes based on what time it is and where you're going. Does not require an agenda to leave classroom.

Hour 8(SECOND INSTRUCTOR): Gives out passes based on what time it is. Does not require an agenda to leave classroom.

What are your pass policies?

3. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 24, 2011

What do you mean by an agenda and "diet" emergency????

4. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 24, 2011

You don't know what an agenda is? :huh:

A Diet emergency is like having to pee real bad.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2011

School policy is no passes in the first and last ten minutes of class. I give five bathroom passes a semester, though I would never deny a student a bathroom pass. Giving a limit has significantly cut back on "recreational" bathroom visits--one year I had a young man who was meeting his girlfriend at the same time every day. All classrooms have a large wooden pass (about 15" square) with the room number painted on it that students take with them. I will write a pass to the health office if necessary, and I allow students to step down the hall for a quick drink of water without a pass.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2011

I know some schools use the student planner/agenda as a sign-out for bathroom passes, but I've never heard the term "diet emergency"!

7. TeachingNTX

TeachingNTX Rookie

Apr 24, 2011

On our campus a student must have their agenda because that is where the hall passes are located. No agenda, no pass. The student must also sign-out/in on a log located by the front door. My policy is that no passes are allowed when I am directly teaching/explaining the assignment as I am not going to repeat myself. Otherwise, I don't care. RR breaks are also give or take 3
    minutes.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2011

Regarding "agenda" --- your reply seems rather rude to me...... Actually I don't think you answered the question......

And a "diet emergency" is like having to pee real bad.. :rolleyes: .... To me a diet emergency is more like having have a granola bar....... :p:p

How old are you anyway?...........

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2011

Marcus is a HS student who says he's interested in education.

You do seem, however, Marcus to be critical of the policies of your own school and of some teachers. Not everyone uses agendas. Not everyone calls planning books 'agendas', and not everyone is familiar with all the policies to which you refer, Marcus.

Many teachers are free to make their own policies in their classrooms...whether or not the students agree with those policies. Some policies are for ease of classroom mgt, others are to manage behaviors, others are teacher preference. Sometimes in school, and certainly in life, one has to abide by rules, policies and guidelines...not all will seem fair. Sometimes one is in a position to change policy...other times one must live within established parameters. Social parameters guide us in our interactions with others in person and online. One of those parameters is adjusting one's communication to the situation. This is not a situation where 'pee' and 'don't you know what ___is' necessarily fit the parameters.:huh:

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 24, 2011

diet or dire?

11. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 24, 2011

Major-
    Then I've definitely had A LOT of "diet emergencies:)", and his response to my question about agendas was rude!:| To me, an agenda in school is what we get at staff meetings, what we post on our board for our students to see what they're going to do for that class, etc. .. .-not something that is carried around!!!!!!!!

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2011

As I think back to my high school (still remember, not too long ago), there were no passes, it was a pretty casual environment. If you were working you could go to the restroom. If the teacher was instructing, you needed to stay in your seat. If there was a repetitive problem, the teacher would probably have to talk to you about it.

And agendas were not used in high school either. Last time I ever used one was middle school.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 24, 2011

Students don't go anywhere during the first or last 10 minutes of class. They must have a hall pass (in their student agenda/planners) signed before they leave class. Teachers can tell students they can't go if they want.

All my students have lockers in my hallway, and the fountain is across the hall from my classroom. If we're working on independent work, I'll usually let them use the restroom.

They never have to ask to leave the room if they are sick. I call it my "vomit rule". Nobody has ever abused the vomit rule. A few students have bladder/kidney or bowel issues that require them to use the bathroom as needed.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2011

You don't leave my class to go to your locker.

If you need to use the rest room, you can. I expect you not to abuse that right.

Generally, they don't.

(Marcus, for what it's worth, when you mentioned a "diet emergency" I thought you meant someone with diabetes or hypogylcemia. As czacza mentioned, there are people here from a number of different parts of the US and a number of other nations. We can't assume that everyone uses the same terminology or procedures. )

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 24, 2011

I give passes for lockers and bathrooms. If they abuse it they lose it.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 24, 2011

At my HS, students could only go to the bathroom once a week per class.

It was a bit ridiculous

17. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 24, 2011

Diet emergency to me seems to mean diabetes or hypoglycemia not having to pee! :lol:

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2011

And in those two cases, of course, I'm not letting the kid leave alone... I don't want anyone passing out in the hallway. Instead, I'm sending someone FLYING for the nurse.

19. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 24, 2011

Exactly. I have diabetes myself and know how serious those two situations are. I usually have fiber/granola bars in my classroom for anytime myself or a student would need one.

20. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 25, 2011

I know that. Every school and state are different. I can't change that. You don't need to remind me.

My 5th grade teacher used to have this policy where we can't go to the bathroom unless its a "diet emergency" during certain events meaning that we can't go unless we have to to use the bathroom really bad.

If it isn't called a "diet emergency" then what is it called?

Also, tell me why we can't go anywhere during the first and last 10 minutes of class?

21. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 25, 2011

I'm going to assume that it's called a dire emergency.

22. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 25, 2011

Why can't we go anywhere during the first and last ten minutes of class?

23. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 25, 2011

Two reasons: safety and they're still sweeping the halls looking for students who are tardy or ditching.

24. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

I like to start class with a warm-up activity (pre-reading, journaling, grammar activity, etc.) that prepares students for the rest of the lesson. I often give mini-quizzes at the end of class. If a student missed one of these activities, it would probably be detrimental to their understanding of that day's material. A lot of teachers like to schedule mini-assessments or practice activities at the beginning and end of class as well. Any class time is valuable, but I think the first ten minutes and the last ten minutes are especially important.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2011

In my classroom, it's called "May I go to the men's room?"

As I stated, if you told me you were having a "diet emergency" I would sit you down and send someone for the nurse. That's where the "different schools" thing comes in.

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2011

Marcus, do you think it is confusing to students when every teacher has their own policy? Sometimes I get annoyed when students don't follow my procedure but then I remember that they have 8 different teachers and if they aren't using the bathroom everyday in each class, it might be hard to remember. So sometimes in these cases, I wonder if it would just be better if everyone did it the same way.

My students have the agenda books, but since the bathroom and water fountain are right by my room, I just let students go. But if they are going anywhere they else, they need to write a pass or use their agenda.

I think the 10 minute rules are for a number of reasons - at the beginning of class - so they can sweep for people cutting, because the teacher is expected to get the class started, introduce the lesson, take attendance, etc., so that it enforces being on time to class. At the end of the period - that's when you should be wrapping up the lesson, getting your homework assignments, etc. Also, I think a lot of students make excuses to get out of class early - like they have to go to their locker or see another teacher or go to the BR and they just ask to leave early, and they are really walking the halls, meeting with other students, etc.

27. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 25, 2011

I don't think it's confusing. But I do know that every teacher is different and they have their own policy. I also do know that all teachers have to follow policies given by the school.

We also have a "No Pass Policy" that gets issued before certain school activies (Pizza Party, talent show, school dance, prep rally, etc). During this "No Pass Policy", teachers cannot give out passes to anyone for any reason. Period. This is to prevent students from going where they are not supposed to go. (If there is a pizza party happening, an uninvited student can easily sneak into the pizza party).

28. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 25, 2011

What annoyed me when I was in high school was when the administrators would tell the teachers not to give out the emergency passes (What you had to use if you had already gone to the bathroom/got a drink of water/went to the nurse once that week). They'd always do it during the hot months. And we weren't allowed to have any liquid in the classroom. Or food (and some people had lunch at 10 AM). The 10 AM lunchers would be hungry at 1, so they'd get permission from their teacher to go out to get food at a local bagel place, sneak out through a door where the camera was calibrated wrong, and get bagels for everyone that was hungry.

oh yeah back on topic. No drinks in the classrooms was bad especially near the end of june.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2011

The comment " you don't need to remind me' is a bit off-putting. If you want professional educators to continue to indulge you in your questions, you may want to re-think how you respond to their answers...see earlier posts here about the 'agenda' comment.:2cents:

I'm thinking you misunderstood the words 'dire emergency' when you were younger as 'diet emergency' which really doesn't make any sense.

I don't know why YOUR teachers don't allow kids out of class during the first and last 10 minutes, but it probably has to do with attendance procedures, assigning homework, and hallway passing times.

30. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 25, 2011

In my district they had the 10 minute rule because after about ten minutes, it was expected that something that the student could miss (i.e. the teacher isn't lecturing) and not being able to leave in the last ten minutes because that is when the teacher wraps up the lesson, gives instruction for homework, if any, and it is when the hall monitors (teachers on their prep) lock the bathrooms and head back to their classrooms to get ready for the next lesson

31. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 25, 2011

Let's treat Marcus with the same respect we'd like our children treated.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

I think he has been.
    Respect is a two way street...I teach my students and my own children that.:2cents:

33. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 26, 2011

Agreed. I don't see anyone treated him in a disrespectful way, and I see nothing wrong with pointing out that a rude tone is unnecessary.

34. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

Apr 26, 2011

We don't a policy really. We're a small school and sometimes we'll give out passes, sometimes we'll just let them go. At least up until a couple of months ago when a kid vandalized the bathroom. Now every teacher has a sign-out sheet students must sign leaving and coming back to class.

35. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 27, 2011

We are adults, we do not need to be asking Marcus sarcastic rhetorical questions of any kind. Enough said.

36. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 27, 2011

Brendan-

I think you're reading too much into comments if this is what you believe! I agree with the other 2 replies that no one has treated "Marcus" rudely, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2011

I saw maybe 3 questions asked by members in this thread...a few were trying to clarify the term 'diet emergency' versus 'dire emergency', one asked how old Marcus is...if one didn't follow the history of his posts, one may not know that he is an inquisitive student.

I'm not quite sure where you are discerning sarcastic rhetoric in those questions.