Question on Teacher Appreciation Days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by krysmorgsu, Aug 15, 2009.

1. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 15, 2009

Since some of you have already had the teacher appreciation days in your area from Staples & Office Depot, can you tell me what you received and which is better? Both stores have it next Saturday in my area, and I want to make sure to go to the better one first! Thanks.

3. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

Staples has usually has something different every year. For two years, they had really study accordion file folders with paper clips, pencils, etc. Last year though, they gave away a small box with a USB drive in it. I thought that was awesome!

I heard that the Staples Teacher Appreciation Day this year is not going to be that good. Supposedly all they are giving is one of those eco-friendly cloth bags and a few coupons. I hope I'm wrong in the info I heard, but it doesn't look worth it to me.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2009

I went to Staples this morning and they had the reuseable bags stuffed with a pencil box, pencils, post-its, push pins, paper clips, highlighter, note pads, and a couple other things. Someone said their store also had flash drives in the bags, but not by me. I don't have an Office Depot, so I don't know about theirs.

5. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 15, 2009

I hope you are wrong! I actually need a new USB (mine is taped together now)...that would certainly be nice!

6. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 15, 2009

Thanks Amakaye! That stuff sounds helpful. Has anyone seen what office depot is doing?

7. teachermegs

teachermegs Rookie

Aug 15, 2009

Just got bak and at Staples we got push pins, paperclips, note pads, pencils, mounting tape.
    Office Depot: a folder. a pencil. a pen, and a flash drive.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2009

Mine gave away flashdrives but they were from last year. My store very few teachers come in, I live in a small resort town. Which is good for me!!

9. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 15, 2009

Lucky! Grr..it sounds like some staples are giving out flash drives, others aren't. If office depot is giving them out, I'm really in a dilemma! I know Staples only gives it to the first 100 teachers. I don't know what to do!

Thanks for all the information. Why do they have to do it on the same day?

10. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2009

My brother was a manager at a Staples for years. He said that they have to get permission for what items go into the bags from their regional managers. Some managers are nicer than others (my brother's wasn't one of them). The last year he worked for them he did some post-its, coupons, and paperclips. That was all the were allowed to do by the manager.

11. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

I too had that dilemma. Mine were both this morning and a 30 minute drive lies between the two. I opted to go to OD with some girls from school. I got a pretty nice reusable bag,a big roll of trash bags, a flash drive, and a ton of coupons. Then I won a gift certificate for the local uniform store (which works for me since my daughter wears uniforms to school.) Each store seems to be doing different things though...I wonder what the staples in NC is giving away?

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2009

Before the OD near me closed, I would hit up both of them! I would usually get another teacher and we would both go and make a morning of it. In the past, I thought that whatever Staples gave away was better, but that the OD event was better - better breakfast, more giveaways and prizes and activities and coupons.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2009

PS does anyone have a link for the dates for the OD one? I can't find it on their site.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2009

Our OD must be suffering from the economy problems. This year all they gave was a paperlike cloth bag and a flash drive of less than 1gig. But, that's more than I had when I walked in the store.

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 15, 2009

Same here, but Staples gave a bag full of goodies. I got a pencil box, pencil, highlighter, two packs of gel pens, a pack of black pens, a double pack of paper, a TON of paper clips and binder clips, a Post It flag dispenser, a box of push pins, a tape dispenser, and a coupon book from the Nestle Toll House store. :)

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2009

I am really jealous...I overslept and missed our Teacher Appreciation morning. I did go to Staples 3 hours later, but of course, they were all out of stuff. They had enough for 100 teachers.
    I didn't bother going to Office Depot. :(

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 16, 2009

This is the 1st year I went to all 3 stores, so this is what I got. (Staples gave the most by far! :)):

Staples - First 100 in line got a bag, plastic pencil box, two 5 x 8 in eco-friendly writing pads, one handed tansparent tape, 50 push pins, 100 small paper clips, 12-pack of pencils, yellow highlighter, writing pen, some kind of clip, & a mini mechnical pencil.

Office Depot - Only first 2 hrs of morning, they gave a bag, 20% coupon for Foot Locker, free breakfast which I had to be w/i the first 20 in line & they ran out of the best thing they had which were the Chick Fil-A sandwiches, flash drive, coupon for free facial, & they had numerous drawings for little prizes if you stick around & I finally got a free appetizer at Old Spaghetti Factory.

OfficeMax - All day, gave a bag & 15% coupon for their store.