Question on GDD and Autism

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by winnie_peg, Sep 15, 2010.

1. winnie_peg

winnie_peg Rookie

Sep 15, 2010

Hi everybody! I am just confused about global developmental delay and autism. Is GDD part of autism? or is GDD and developmental delay the same thing? Does GDD belong to the categories of IDEA?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 15, 2010

Is GDD an ancroym for global developmental delay?

In IL, you can only have a DD label until your 9th birthday, then there has to be something else. we don't have GDD as an option on our IEP's.

MN might be different, though... we used to have to give a different label at 6, but they wisely increased that a few years :)

I have had kids with a DD label that evertualyl get an autism label, but I wouldn't consider DD a part of Autism... DD is the label I give almost ALL my students coming in at 3 unless there is truly something else going on, or it's just a minor speech delay.

4. winnie_peg

winnie_peg Rookie

Sep 15, 2010

Thanks clarnet73. GDD is an acronym for global developmental delay. Probably GDD is not the same as DD, and a different disability maybe linked to another disability. Not really sure.

5. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 15, 2010

The state of Minnesota recognizes the educational identification of Developmental Delay. A child can qualify for special education services under this category until their seventh birthday. In order to qualify, a student must show delay in 2 different categories (language and social/behavior, language and reading, language and math, reading and math, etc.). There are different regulations for children under the age of 3 - they can qualify with DD with a diagnosed medical condition known to hinder normal development (such as extreme prematurity). They can also qualify with gross motor delay of 2.0 SD below the mean.

Global Developmental Delay just means that a child is considered delayed in all or most categories of development (language, gross and fine motor skills, cognition, social skills, behavior, etc.).

Most children with autism display a very uneven developmental pattern. They may have a global developmental delay, they may have normal development and then regress, or they may have average or even above average skills in one or more categories, and be behind in others. It depends on the kid. Sometimes they are diagnosed with GDD prior to being diagnosed with autism, but as we get better and better at detecting that, kids are generally just diagnosed with autism first.

6. winnie_peg

winnie_peg Rookie

Sep 16, 2010

This is very well explained bethechange. I have now a clear understanding of the issue. Thank you so much.