Question on Experience

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by youmanj, Jul 4, 2010.

1. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 4, 2010

I just finished my student teaching in April and I know there were a lot of things I learned about teaching. Yet, I know deep down there are things I don't know.

I'm worried about going into an interview and being asked questions that a teacher thats been teaching 10 years would know, not someone that just got out of school. Do interviewers take this into account?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2010

Anyone requesting an interview has already seen your resume, and knows that you've just finished student teaching. They wouldn't waste time talking to you if a lack of experience made you inelligible for the job.

They may still ask the hard questions though. They'll want to see how you think on your feet and react to those situations, knowing full well that you will be expected to deal with them in the classroom.

In other words. don't sweat the lack of experience, but don't expect a bye from the hard questions. .

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2010

You'd be well advised to look at the interview questions threads here on job seekers- then mentally 'rehearse' what you might say if asked similar questions.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 4, 2010

That's why there is A to Z! :D The job seeker forum on here has great tips on resumes, cover letters, and interviewing. Recently there was a post about recent tough questions that were asked in interviews. I have also found some interview books suggested on here helpful. The trick is to be confident even though you will be asked questions about things that you have not experienced. The teachers on A to Z can help with that! :D

6. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 4, 2010

They probably aren't going to ask you questions regarding experience but will ask such things as your classroom management plan, differentiating instruction, what your language arts time would look like and so on. Utilize the thread about interviewing questions, put them on cards and rehearse what you would say.

One tip on the classroom management plan question: don't imediately go into your dicipline plan. Explain in your words how your classroom management plan sets the atomosphere for learning...creates a classroom community...talk about positive reinforcement...then go into your dicipline plan. Just a tip because I know that a lot of new teachers don't fully explain this question :)