Question of the Day: Are teachers overpaid?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mistah, Mar 15, 2010.

1. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 21, 2010

I was recently offered a position as a corporate trainer making $65,000/year. I'm not looking just talking to someone at a cocktail party! I make $36,000 teaching special ed. I try not to think about it.

2. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 22, 2010

Overpaid? No way!

I am paid to work 7:15-2:30. Do I ever leave at 2:30? Rarely. I leave when my work's done--that could be at 3:30 or it could even be at 5:00. Do I ever work on the weekends or during vacations? You'd better believe it! I use my vacation time to plan, get the classroom organized, and do other classroom/school related things.

If I worked for a bank (which I did for five years) and was scheduled from 8-5, I'd leave right at 5 (and not a minute later). I wouldn't work weekends or holidays nor would I come in early.

Most teachers work beyond their contracted hours without batting an eyelash!

If I was choosing my career based on how much I'd bring home at the end of the month, I'd stay far away from education. However, I'm doing what I love and I can't see myself doing anything else!

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 25, 2010

I totally agree!!

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 25, 2010

I think that many of us know of a least one teacher who does not put in one minute longer than what is required. I've come accross many of them in my short term (5-year) career.

While it is a fact that every profession has their good and bad employees, in teaching, however, getting rid of those bad ones is nearly impossible. Therefore, to outsiders who may come accross bad teachers, we are without a doubt, overpaid.

5. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

I too am a military spouse. First, thank you for YOUR service to our country too!

No I don't believe that teachers are overpaid.

6. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I don't think they can be compared. As a teacher you are not asked to leave your family and go to a war zone for up to a year. My husband is military and in a "safe" career field. He still had to go to Afghanistan and was literally shot at and his base was bombed several times while he was there. I just don't think it is a good comparison.

I as a rule do not believe that teachers are overpaid.

7. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 25, 2010

No teachers are not overpaid. Most devote many hours and money that should be used for their families on the classroom. Many attend workshops over the summer and looking up some workshops I'd love to attend to improve my teaching it takes a lot of money to stay on "top of the game."

A military person is underpaid, police, and fire fighters are underpaid.

My mom works at a hospital in HR, and it is sad to hear some doctors make well over $100,000 a MONTH (which Does NOT include a several thousand dollar a month sign on bonus) The hire paid doctors work just a few hours a week! They make more than doctors that are there all the time.

Military-retired and those who are on 100% disability DO NOT make enough! My dad is 100% disabled from his an injury while in the military (the injury occurred when I was 7 and caused him to be discharged, he had a hard time working my entire childhood I was almost 18 before they finally recognized with all his health problems as a result of that injury not being treated right he could no longer work). My parents would not be able to live comfortably if my mom wasn't a GS7. (Which she has only been for the past 2 years or so, before that she taught preschool, very underpaid, $10 an hour, and she'd been doing that for 30+ years)

Most people are woefully underpaid! Teachers, military, fire, labor workers etc. Paid hourly and making $800(roughly) a month I know I can't live off that without the help of a second income, I have student loans and other mandatory bills, soon I'll have health insurance....just another BILL I can't afford.